Suggested Image organizer for Linux

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 2, 2004 7:26:00 PM

I'm looking for a good image organizer similar to ACDSee 7 but one that
runs on Linux. Does anyone have any suggestions about a product they
use now?
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 10:08:25 PM

lee.thomson@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm looking for a good image organizer similar to ACDSee 7 but one that
> runs on Linux. Does anyone have any suggestions about a product they
> use now?

I use a program called GQview. It's not quite as versatile as ACDSee
in that it doesn't have all the built in functions but works well for
organizing.

You can link it to external programs to make up for some of the lack of
functionality.. For instance, if I want to edit an image, I can highlight
it and click on 'edit in Gimp' and it will open in Gimp. You can do
the same with ImageMagick, so with some tinkering it can be quite
useful.

Here's some screen shots on GQview home page at sourceforge..

http://gqview.sourceforge.net/view-shot.html
December 4, 2004 2:30:53 AM

lee.thomson@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm looking for a good image organizer similar to ACDSee 7 but one that
> runs on Linux. Does anyone have any suggestions about a product they
> use now?

Never having seen ACDSee, I can't comment about similarity. But for image
organisation I use KimDaBa (http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba)

From that page:

What is KimDaBa ?
KimDaBa or KDE Image Database is a tool which you can use to easily sort
your images. It provides many functionnalities to sort them and find them
easily.

About KimDaBa
If you are like me you have hundreds or even thousands of images ever
since you got your first camera, some taken with a normal camera other with
a digital camera. Through all the years you believed that until eternity
you would be able to remember the story behind every single picture, you
would be able to remember the names of all the persons on your images, and
you would be able to remember the exact date of every single image.
I personally realized that this was not possible anymore, and especially
for my digital images - but also for my paper images - I needed a tool to
help me describe my images, and to search in the pile of images. This is
exactly what KimDaba is all about.

KimDaba focuses on three key points:
It must be easy to describe a number of images at a time. It must for
example not take more than a few mouse clicks to mark all your images from
your holiday as being from Italy, 1992. KimDaba offers two ways of
description images one at a time, which is useful for writing text about
images, and All Simultaneously, which is useful for selecting a number of
images, and setting properties like location, persons on images, and date
of image.
It must be easy to search for images. KimDaba offers to describe images
with a number of properties. These includes date, persons on image,
location of image, plus a keyword field the user can use for custom
keywords like Album 7 or Holiday trip to Italy. With KimDaBa you can search
using these categories - for example Find the images with Jesper on them.
It must be easy to browse and View the images. When viewing images, your
focus often changes - one moment you are looking at images from your
holiday in 1992, and when seeing an image of a friend whom you spent that
holiday with, you focus suddenly changes, so you want to see all images of
that friend.

--
Nigel Rowe
A pox upon the spammers that make me write my address like..

Nigel Rowe <rho@see.signature.invalid> wrote:

> http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba

Hm. Unless I missed something, Kimdaba needs to write into the image
directory tree it's "index.xml" file -- making it useless for those
(like me) who mount their image filesystems on a read-only basis until
image insertion is required.
!