SSDx4 Raid 0 Multi Part Questions

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Question 1
I am considering buying 4 x Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F240GB3A-BK
I was thinking about putting all of them in raid 0. Is there any reason not to do this?

Question 2
I currently have Evga x58 ftw3
I anticipate seeing somewhere around 1000-1200mbs on this board.

Question 3
I'm not sure if I should get a new MB or use the existing one, or even buy a raid card for better performance

Question 4
Some people have said to not put my os on the raid partition, but recently I heard that I will only lose about 10% top at most. (no trim and all) So if im useing 4 drives in raid 0 im thinking this wont matter at all and I wont even notice the slowdown.

Final Question
I am a little confused on the controllers, with sata 2/3. My current understanding is that each port has a max speed of 300mbs/600mbs So if i have 4 drives in raid on sata 2 my max possible speed(minus overhead) 1200mbs and 3 would be 2400mbs. Is this correct?

Thanks

Solution

Why do you need 4 240GB drives in RAID-0? What are you going to be using your system for?

If you’re lucky you may see such performance. :)
All X58 motherboards do not have native SATA 6Gb/s ports. They use 3rd party Marvell controller for their 6Gb/s ports. The Marvell 9128 controller on your board has a data bandwidth of PCIe x1 at 5Gb/s (500MB/s).

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
A RAID 0 configuration across 4 drives has a predicted failure rate of about 8-10 X of a non-raided drive. With the failure rates of SSDs you may be setting up for failure. If you do this then you had better have GOOD backup.

The main advantage ot SSDs is their speed over a HDD. 4 SSDs in RAID will saturate the SATA 3.0 bus and your bottleneck will be with the bus. You would be safer with 2 X 2 SATA RAID 0 drive arrays rather than a 1 X 4.

Most mobos with SATA 2.0 support only support 2 drives on a 3.0 SATA array. You may need to get a RAID controller card for the RAID support of 4 SATA 3.0 drives.
That, or get a new CPU & mobo.

My experience with SSDs is that they are prone to fail at about 5 X the rate of HDDs. Good luck if you do a 4 SSD RAID 0: you will need it.

Why do you need 4 240GB drives in RAID-0? What are you going to be using your system for?

If you’re lucky you may see such performance. :)
All X58 motherboards do not have native SATA 6Gb/s ports. They use 3rd party Marvell controller for their 6Gb/s ports. The Marvell 9128 controller on your board has a data bandwidth of PCIe x1 at 5Gb/s (500MB/s).

If you are going to RAID-0 4 SATA 3 SSDs you should by a PCIe x8 RAID card regardless of whether or not you upgrade your motherboard.

True, with 4 240GB drives in RAID-0 the lack of TRIM is not an issue.
You just have to Log Off once a month or so to allow Garbage Collection to maintain drive performance.

Correct, but those are theoretical maximum speeds. You probably won’t get close to those speeds with firmware (motherboard) RAID. You would need hardware (RAID card) RAID to get maximum performance of 4 drives in RAID-0.

Personally I wouldn’t RAID-0 4 240GB drives just to create 1 logical C: drive unless I had a compelling reason.
The odds of drive failure increase with the number of drives you have in an array.

I would RAID-0 2 small 64GB drives to use as my O/S.
I would then get 2 480GB drives, one for data/storage, and the other for a backup drive.

Solution
You can't do it on your mobo.

You have 6 native SATA II ports, which you can RAID them all together.
And SATA II max bandwidth is 3.0Gbps, or roughly 300MBps.

The add-on SATA III ports can't/won't intergate/connect with the native ones!
And SATA III max bandwidth is 6.0Gbps, or roughly 600MBps.

So 2 SATA III SSD will do what 4xSATA II SSD do. But I wouldn't use the add-on RAID controller! Marvell and/or JMicron are cr@p.

And, OMG, WHY? You must have a bottomless bank account.

I just dropped my RAID set up, and it's still as fast. I went from 2xOCZ Vertex 3 60GB to 1xIntel 520 180GB SSD. Yes benchmarks are lower, but in real world use, I can't tell!

Go with one large SSD, and get a couple hard drives (1-2TB) for data storage and backups.

BTW: if you really want to RAID 0 4xSSD, get a RAID card, like the one reviewed here: HighPoint 2720SGL RocketRAID...

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003

Thank you for the responce.

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003

I play way to many games, I'm a programmer, and I and I do a lot of editing includeing cs stuff and tons of videos ect....

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
First off, thanks for responding in a way that answered my questions and did so in an easy to understand way!

Thanks again for all the info.

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003