Asus P6X58D-E - Windows 7 Reboot Loop Woes,

Josefu

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Hello all,

I have just finnished building my first PC, after a lot of research, the specs are as follows.

-Asus P6X58D-E X58 Socket 1366 Gigabit Lan Tripple PCI-E 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

-Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache

-Kingston 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1066MHz triple Channel Memory

-OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU

-Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler

-ASUS HD 6870 1GB GDDR5

-Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB Hard Drive

So, after building I updated the bios to the most recent version sucessfully.

I then began to install Windows 7 x64 which after completeing the inital install and restarting, was failing to boot into windows, I removed a stick of Ram and this seemed to fix the issue. Windows installed and all seemed fine, everything was working as normal.

That was untill I ran windows update, after updating and allowing the restart, the computer failed to boot windows, I tried multiple variations of Ram from 1 stick to all 3, changing DIMM sockets. Eventually I gave up and decided to format and reinstall all over again.

But just as in my first install I cant boot into windows again after the first restart, and this time removing Ram etc. has no effect. The computer starts, and after the bios goes into the windows load splash screen and then reboots the computer in an endless loop. If I boot in safe mode, I can (most of the time, but not always) get passed the screen but receive a message saying instalation cant continue in safe mode.

I can sit in bios all day with no issues, and the temperatures are at 30 degrees on the CPU. I have also ran a Memtest86 with 0 errors. I can also run Ubuntu totally fine with no issues.

This has lead me to belive this may be some sort of issue with a Bios settings and windows not being compatible (they are currently all at default as im a total noob when it comes to these things)

The disc for windows is fine, as I have used it previously on my other computer with no issues.

One other thing that may or may not be relevant is that it seems that one of my DIMM slots is faulty (unknown if this was damaged during my instilation or just faulty from the manufacturer), as the second slot for the triple channel memory does not work. Instead I have the board working as dual channel with 2 sticks in slots 1 and 3, and another in the second set 1.

I'm a total loss for what to do, and endless internet searching has not gave me any answers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ck303

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hi there Josefu,

I have about the same problem here, and we are not alone in this.

Windows 7 64x randomly reboots.
At some points i can use my computer for minutes/hours.
At some points it just randomly reboots.

Asus P6X58D-E
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
OCZ 12 GB (4x3GB)
Asus ENGTX460
Samsung 1TB HDD
Creative X-FI

Temperatures - OK
DRAM settings - OK (according to OCZ and numerous other testers)
Voltage settings - OK (according to OCZ and numerous other testers)
Mem86 test - OK
Powersupply - OK

Reinstalled Windows (was needed anyways)
Latest drivers from Asus.
Latest bios from Asus.

I am also thinking about a compatibility problem as you mentioned.
A driver in combination with the bios / bios setting.

Couldnt figure out wich driver as the reboot is like power is cut down.

Busy with ACPI testing (did some, but same problem)

Did you get any further with your problem, or even found a solution?

Greetings,

Chris

computer guy_70

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
This is my issue: I fire on the computer, it goes thru POST, reboots. Does this 2 to 3 times (it varies) then goes into Windows. This was after the latest BIOS update. Does someone have a fix?

armystutz

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I have been having the exact same problem, this is the second asus p6x58 D-E i have bought and both did same thing. 1 i purchased back in the states and 1 I purchased here in korea. second i-7 960 i have bought returned the old one to a friend who has an electronics store and he gave me a new still in sealed package. new PSU cause the old one did have a fault. new ram many different types and new HDD Basically rebuilt entire computer. still have same issue as you