Closed

Can't OC FX 8350

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 2:33:19 AM

I just recently upgraded to an FX-8350 and wanted to oc, after owning and oc'ing a 965 BE to 3.9ghz stable and cool I figured this wouldn't be much more difficult, if any.

Well so far I've been very wrong, after doing all of the research I possibly could and adjusting all bios settings properly I can't even achieve a 4.3ghz oc without Prime95 restarting my pc, BSOD.

I've tried increasin voltage, on both Vcore, NBcore, and memory, incremently and carefully. I have also tried just using the FSB for increase and just using CPU clock multiplier and both. I have manually set my RAM timings, altho in my bios I have the option of AUTO, Quick, or Expert, but the values don't seem to change now that I've manually switched them. I can boot Windows all the way up to 4.7ghz but crash in Prime at anything over 4.2ghz. My temps have always been good. Under 55c at full load.

I am so frustrated with this CPU, I will return it and spend the extra to get an i7 if I have to but I've been loyal to AMD so long but this cpu has been such a headache. I'm wondering now if its my motherboard, or my RAM isn't high enough performance. I'll post my specs below. Any advice, questions would be greatly appreciated.

My specs:

FX 8350 w/ Noctua NH-C14 cpu cooler
Gigabyte 970a-D3
Gigabyte 7850 2gb ddr5 1100mhz
Kingston HyperX Blue 8gb dual channel 1333mhz
ThermalTake TR2 600w psu

More about : 8350

a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 3:05:06 PM

hmm i did have some trouble on my 6300 and 8320 but it all turned out to be my fault. ive had stable clocks over 5 ghz on both. in your bios you have to make sure your cpu and other power saving options are disabled as well as turbo. using the turbo is very hard to get stable when overclocking. but @ 1.38v vcore ,220-230 fsb manual memory timings, with a 20-21x multiplier everything is stable for me.

i find the most stable without having to go crazy on the vcore is 4.615 ghz with 230 fsb. 1.38v windows 7 likes to freeze occasionally on startup past that most likely due to needing other voltage tweaks even when the v core is 1.51v but it actually will boot without freezing.

one other thing is it could be just your mobo, its seems to be lower end and may just not overclock well just as my other msi board did.

ohh and did you happen to make sure the newer fx series was supported on this board, most are but need the latest bios update to support the piledriver cpus
Score
a b À AMD
a c 296 K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 3:25:42 PM

Do you have the latest BIOS version on your mobo right?
Score
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 3:56:57 PM

Yep latest BIOS and have disabled all power saving/turbo options
Score
a b À AMD
a c 296 K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 3:58:24 PM

Remove cooler and CPU and install both again, not too much pressure but enough for a good cooling dissipation.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 4:39:28 PM

So reinstall them both with less pressure from the heatsink on the cpu? Why would this allow me for stable overclocking if my temps are already good? Just wondering, I'll give anything a try :) 
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 4:57:09 PM

The CPU is supported but I've heard that my board has 4+1 phasing power where as some of the newer 990 boards have 12+1 phasing, tbh I have no idea if that is the case or not but I have seen it in similar posts, leading me to think maybe it it my mobo.
I've run the chip at stock w/turbo boost on in Prime95 stable for multiple hours so it def isn't my cpu.
Score
February 9, 2013 5:44:37 AM

i also just bought the FX 8350. It is also on a Gigabyte board. My board is the GA 970A UD3 rev1.0. That is the first revision. I have been having similar problems overclocking my cpu. I believe my problem is my mb has no LLC.

What happens is when I increase the voltage to the cpu, even for a tiny overclock, the chips instruction set "says" too much voltage on the chip better drop it down.Hence the term vdroop. For some reason Gigabyte did not include llc on the first revision of my board. Next month i will get the GA 990FXA UD3

I am pretty sure that your motherboard does have LLC on it so try increasing the LLC to max. You will no longer get vdroop and with stable vcore your overclock should hold up.

Of course i have no idea if that is your main problem. You made no mention of what you monitor your temps with or your voltages when you are in prime.

Score
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2013 9:56:52 PM

My voltages are maxing at 1.488 but fluctuate because of LLC my temps are all good. I have a Noctua NH-C14 and currently havent exceeded 45c in Prime. I'm using HWMonitor and Coretemp for temps and vcore.
Score
February 14, 2013 8:04:51 AM

There are several functions that need to be disabled to create a stable overclock.
AMD CIE Support
C6 Support
AMD K8 Cool&Quiet
AMD APM Master Mode
Core Performance Boost

LLC: helps minimize voltage drop or v droop under load. Setting it to extreme causes voltage to be higher than BIOS which isnt nessesscarily a bad thing...basically this prevents the voltage from dropping too low to run the processor at that speed.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 12:45:43 PM

So if I have stable temps but my Vcore is spiking to 1.6v for 30 sceonds at some points in Prime95 thats ok?

I am stable to 4.5ghz right now, with all those bios settings off and no voltage touched just mulitplier added to and Extreme LLC on. I noticed that running even high end games like Far Cry3, Crysis 2 and such that my Vcore never goes above like 1.44v and my temps are around 45c full load with my Noctua. So the Vcore in Prime really isn't damaging my cpu if I'm controlling heat?
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 12:53:20 PM

btw I'm using HWmonitor and Coretemp to monitor my Voltages. Checking min/max's after playing, maybe I need to take the plunge and upgrade my mobo to something with better power phasing, than maybe I can achieve a higher OC. This FX-8350 is a HOT cpu, I've noticed some odd temp spikes in Prime95 here and there as well, after passing first stage of test that is.
Score
February 14, 2013 7:29:30 PM

i don't want you to blow your chip up. If your vcore is spiking to 1.6v i would say that is not ok. Your vcore should not be spiking to 1.6 volts. I would say try lowering your voltage a bit and seeing if you are still stable in prime. Or maybe backing off the llc a little.

Ya i noticed it runs a bit on the warm side.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 7:41:16 PM

Well right now I'm running stable at 4.5ghz with spikes to 1.524v (only in prime95 and IBT which both passed) but running at 1.464v 97% of the time. Temps don't go over 50c at full load, 18c at idle.

I only have two options for LLC on my mobo (besides auto) Its Regular and Extreme and I can't seem to get a stable clock with regular llc because it doesnt adjust my voltage, even with manually increased voltage I can't get stable without extreme llc.

I've been considering upgrading to a 990fx board.
Score
February 14, 2013 8:12:30 PM

A spike of 1.524v sounds ok. There are a lot of people running this cpu at that vcore full time. Their overclocks are much higher then 4.5 however. But since it is just a spike and not constant i really see no problem with that. Of course you understand that any overclock shortens the life of the cpu. The temperatures do sound really good. I don't think that you really have to worry about it anymore. That of course would be your call.

GA 990 fx series has 8+2 phase CPU VRM

I like the idea of getting a GA-990fx UD(3-5-or7) I am going with the GA-990fx UD3 myself. It seems to be the most stable of the 3 boards. Of course this is only my opinion.

Congrats on a stable overclock
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 11:18:58 PM

I think I may pick up that board as well. Maybe in a week or so, won't hurt thats for sure. For now though running at 4.5ghz works, it seems abit faster and I have no worries of the cpu being the bottleneck! Thanks for the help btw :) 
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 5:38:03 PM

wow that a high vcore for that clock, im running 1.38 stable @ 4.615. it has to be your board, i would pick up a newer 990fx or fxa board
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 7:51:47 PM

Hmm, yea I kept thinking it was my board too, time to get a new one thanks! whats the difference between FX and FXA? Also, what board brand should I go for? I would like to get a board I can reach 4.8ghz-5.0ghz on, my Noctua is fully capable I think.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 1:27:27 AM

When overclocking, cooling a motherboards VRM is a must. And a beefier VRM could help but that's not guaranteed to solve your problem.

What is your ambient room temp, I doubt your idle temp reading of 18C is correct.

Score
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 1:33:02 AM

Room temp is about 70F or 20c. My Noctua NH-C14 blows on the mobo too, so VRM's stay cool. I've checked with multiple cpu thermometers and it idle's around 18-20c.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 2:03:24 AM

Well I suggest you check that temp again, it is impossible to have below ambient temps with air cooling.

Blowing air over a VRM without heatsinks doesn't necessarily keep them cool, hence why heatsink fans have fins and heatpipes, fans alone would not work.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 2:32:54 AM

Hmm, how else should I check the temp?
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 2:43:31 AM

Also, it looks like my VRMs do have heat sinks
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 2:54:12 AM

Mine is revision 3.0, am I still mistaken?
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 11:50:24 AM

So even with a board upgrade to a 990fx or fxa may not allow me a higher overclock? I'm thinking I may go fo4r it anyways because my board only has a pciex4 and x16 I'd like one with 2xpciex16 so I can maybe run xfire in the future.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 1:48:39 PM

Use hwinfo to check your temps best program around. It matches my bios perfectly
Score

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 10:25:09 PM

chrisafp07 said:
So even with a board upgrade to a 990fx or fxa may not allow me a higher overclock? I'm thinking I may go fo4r it anyways because my board only has a pciex4 and x16 I'd like one with 2xpciex16 so I can maybe run xfire in the future.

The better board may help the overclock but you really can't know for sure until you either try it or you find out more information on your own boards VRM to see if it can handle the power draw of an overclocked 8350.

The better motherboard should also bring you better voltage control, in both LLC and how accurate the set voltage is compared to what the actual voltage ends up being. IMO the upgrade will be worth it if you can either reuse the old motherboard in a new build or sell it on ebay or craigslist.
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 12:50:09 AM

Yea, thanks, I'm going to pick up a new board this week. Something with 2xpciex16 slots. I appreciate the insight from everyone!
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 12:50:15 AM

Best answer selected by chrisafp07.
Score
February 17, 2013 12:14:25 PM

Hey dude, I have your answer, I think the other guy said it but my answer is more straightforward.

Your motherboard has only a 4+1 phrase power design. It only has 4 phrases for the cpu and it is NOT meant for overclocking. Infact, 4 phrases for such a power hungry cpu is pushing it quite a bit. So, the verdict is it will not go higher is because there is just not enough power the board cannot deliver.

Get a new motherboard, the cpu is not good and needs a heavy overclock to perform on par with the i5 even. Get a 990fx motherboard and at least a 990fx ud3 which has a 8+2 phrase power design which is twice than your board.
Score
February 17, 2013 3:07:18 PM

chrisafp07 said:
Well right now I'm running stable at 4.5ghz with spikes to 1.524v (only in prime95 and IBT which both passed) but running at 1.464v 97% of the time. Temps don't go over 50c at full load, 18c at idle.

I only have two options for LLC on my mobo (besides auto) Its Regular and Extreme and I can't seem to get a stable clock with regular llc because it doesnt adjust my voltage, even with manually increased voltage I can't get stable without extreme llc.

I've been considering upgrading to a 990fx board.

Lets see I got u stable and also gave u an idea of what board to get. In fact the board i suggested is what your picking up. So why does that dude get best answer. He only repeated what i said to you. Your welcome Butthead
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 9:49:54 PM

urbancamper said:
Lets see I got u stable and also gave u an idea of what board to get. In fact the board i suggested is what your picking up. So why does that dude get best answer. He only repeated what i said to you. Your welcome Butthead

I appreciate your help as well he had just summed it up and I wanted to at least select a best answer to have the post closed. Sorry if I offended you, your help was valuable, I took cumulative advice though. I didn't know getting a best answer was a big deal Sorry again :/ 

I am picking up the board because of your recommendation along with the others.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2013 12:55:15 AM

crazypotato said:
Hey dude, I have your answer, I think the other guy said it but my answer is more straightforward.

Your motherboard has only a 4+1 phrase power design. It only has 4 phrases for the cpu and it is NOT meant for overclocking. Infact, 4 phrases for such a power hungry cpu is pushing it quite a bit. So, the verdict is it will not go higher is because there is just not enough power the board cannot deliver.

Get a new motherboard, the cpu is not good and needs a heavy overclock to perform on par with the i5 even. Get a 990fx motherboard and at least a 990fx ud3 which has a 8+2 phrase power design which is twice than your board.

The cpu doesnt need a high oc to compete with an i5, also comparisons greatly vary between what is being done. I have a system with an i5 3570k and I don't like it, doesn't encode video fast enough and my games run better on my FX cpu, I gave my i5 rig to my girlfriend...
Score
a b À AMD
a c 296 K Overclocking
February 19, 2013 11:04:22 AM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
Score
!