Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sony VGC-RB30 doesn't boot up after upgrading from onboard graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2010 1:07:02 AM

Hi there, I got a Sony VGC-RB 30
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/VGCRB30_mksp.pdf
and I wanted to upgrade from onboard graphics. So I upgraded the PSU to 500W and bought a MSI 5770 Hawk. When I plug it in and start the computer all the vans run full speed, but the computer does not boot up. The usual beep when booting does not come. If I pull the power from the graphics card the beep comes, but there is also another beeping sound that does not stop.
I pulled the graphics card, started into safe mode and disabled the onboard graphics and put the GC back in. The results are still the same.

Can someone help me...
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2010 12:07:02 AM

Did you upgrade the 305W PSU, it's a little small to power the beast 5770.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2010 12:08:16 AM

wait what brand is your upgraded 500W PSU. Is there a problem when you remove the card?
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2010 11:21:44 AM

Thanks for the rply. I upgraded to a 3R System iCEAGE 500 W Power Supply. It was tested on Hardwaresecrets.com and got a silver award.
Yesterday we tested another graphics card and the computer booted up. After that we pluged the 5770 Hawk into another computer and we got the same result. Computer does not boot. So I guess the card is DOA - at least I hope so :-)
Now I'll send it back to newegg and wait for a new one. I'll keep you posted.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2010 11:26:34 AM

That sounds pretty reasonable. I always suggest doing as much testing as you can (in a short period of time) then RMAing the card. If the next card has the same result, then reevaluate.
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2010 2:13:16 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l
!