Drive Fails to Boot; Please Help

Hello,

So this morning my ocz psu got nuked by some water :( i saw the mobo flash like it was going to turn on and then nothing (seemed like a short). I swapped out the psu for a working one and verified that the mobo and the cpu were not nuked. After that I checked the RAM and that was fine. The BIOS recognized the two hard drives (HDD:500GB 7200RPM data drive and SSD: 80GB boot drive) yet the computer didn't want to load the OS.

I then tried tossing the SSD into my laptop and the laptop could not progress past the POST due to lack of boot drive.

I booted my desktop off of my laptop HDD and it was fine, plugged in the other 2 drives and all of the data on the two drives was still there.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with the SSD or why I am unable to boot from it yet I can still access all of the files on it?

Any help would really be appreciated; once I get that working I can test the other parts :/

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about drive fails boot help
  1. Well, it is _possible_ that the boot sector was wiped out, in which case a Repair installation from the distribution CD will fix the problem.

If you have recent backups, you can do what I would do: Save any data that changed since the backups, do a Secure Erase of the SSD, and restore the backup. I never trust a corrupted and patched OS.
  2. WyomingKnott said:
    Well, it is _possible_ that the boot sector was wiped out, in which case a Repair installation from the distribution CD will fix the problem.

If you have recent backups, you can do what I would do: Save any data that changed since the backups, do a Secure Erase of the SSD, and restore the backup. I never trust a corrupted and patched OS.

I think he is right.
    If you can still access your files on your SSD, then is not a hardware issue, try to save the files to another drive and wipe the SSD and re install the OS.
  3. Was your BIOS set to boot that SSD?
  4. So just an update.

I replaced my PSU with an identical one and hooked up my computer just like it was. I first booted with my Linux drive and it was a successful boot. I then tried the SSD and the machine stated up like I never left it.

Is there something in the SSD's firmware that only allows the drive to boot when it is tied to specific hardware? I found this very strange.

-SP
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Boot Storage