COOLER FOR MY 2500K?

yh1169

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
I have decided to use Cooler Master's Hyper 212+ cooler for my i5 2500Ksystem

I am not looking for extreme overclock, want somewhere between 4.3Ghz~4.7Ghz (4.5Ghz median/mean)

I, of course, heard of some coolers like Noctua's which costs like $80 at amazon where the Hyper 212+ is sold for $30.
It's like $50 difference in price so what I thought was "if I add another $50 I could even get the i7 2600K..."

But whatever~ that's what I, an individual, was thinking.

Please recommend me any other options , is there any other cooler I should consider?

For other coolings,
I personally use Lancool's K62 Case. (2fans top (off) 1rearfan & 1 front fan (on))

It seems that each chip is different, and will have a max oc. Most will reach your range, 10% may not.
Once you reach thaqt limit, it does not matter much how good your cooler is.

I think you are good with the cm 212.

If your app iis gaming, there is not a lot to be gained once you get to 4.0 or so.
The SB is shockingly fast.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Nice system you got..im also gonna go with the i5 2500k build but they haven't re-release the motherboards yet...anyways the cooler master hyper 212 plus is a good cooler but if your thinking of changing the fans for high quality fans then it'll probably almost cost you just as much as a Noctua NH-D14, Noctua U12P SE or even Thermalright Silver Arrow which all 3 heatsinks come with quality fans...the fans alone on the noctua are $25 per fan..so if you were to buy those fans and put them on the cooler master hyper 212 then it'll actually cost you more...just something to think about since most people with the cooler master hyper 212 end up changing the fans anyways...

With a 120mm fan, the 212 will be quieter under load.

It is not a deep cooler, so the fan could be mounted either push or pull.

It is reasonably tall, so it should avoid most, if not all ram. The fan can be pushed up a bit also.

For what it is worth, fancy heat spreaders are mostly marketing, and can usually be removed.
Do not pay much extra for them.

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I second the Zalman, but I don't think it's necessary; I installed a hyper212+ onto my 2500k build to see how well it cooled after hearing quite a lot about it and wanting to put it to the test; it's impressive for the price. Definitely fine for the average OC limit on SB.