Should I upgrade my cpu cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkr

Splendid
Part of my issue is that it has been a year since I made this build and i want to fiddle but everything works well.

my build:
CM haf 912 case
Antec HCG-750 power supply
Asus p8z68-v gen3
16GB Ram
EVGA GTX 560 OC'd 975/ 2200 MHz @ 988mV I have had it up to 1050 but the stock cooler does not keep up and performance is not any better maybe even worse, but stable.
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.533 1.366 V x44

I am using a ZALMAN CNPS7000C-AlCu 2 Ball CPU Cooler that was on sale at Fry's electronics for $15 open box.
Now I used to never break 65 C and I still idle around 26C. Now when I have visual studio running, opera with 20+ tabs, firefox playing the terrible CnC:Tiberium Alliances(but I am invested) and Civilization 5 running everything is fine (65-70 C). Now when I kick in an AVG "high priority" scan I will hit 80-85C which is pushing the limits of what I am comfortable with.

So this cooler has always been a little loud but so are my kids so I was okay with that but now that it seems to be losing its effectiveness I am thinking about going to the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO.

So will this cooler be anymore effective and to what degree. I am sure it will be more quiet.

also do you think I could squeak out a little more out of my CPU with a new cooler, not because I need it but because it is fun

Solution
80-85 is pretty high. Your CPU wont die but its recommended that you add CPU cooler.
Your Options-
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
NZXT Respire T40

fkr

Splendid
I am using an antec formula 6 and this build is a year old as of the 3rd of February(happy b-day partner) . I am also a religious cleaner of my computer also so their is not any dust in the computer.
I do believe about a month or two ago I decided to push the cpu up a little further to from 4.4 to 4.55. maybe it is just that little bump that pushed this cooler to the limits.
does anybody know what kind of temps I would get with the hyper 212+.
thanks all for the input

fkr

Splendid
that cooler is designed for the lga 1155 chipset and it has worked really well up to the 4.4 overclock. Maybe I just know how to apply thermal paste. My final question is will i get an appreciable difference from moving up to a hyper 212+ cooler or am i better just down clocking a little and saving that money for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.