Sign in with
Your question

Athlon iix4 vs Phenom iix4

Last response: in CPUs
June 5, 2010 6:41:56 AM

Hi all
I want to upgade my phenom iix4 910(2.6ghz) to either one below:

Athlon iix4 640 or Phenom iix4 945 they both 3.0ghz and 95W what is my mobo support.

CPU/Processor Socket AM3 processor Memory support is limited to DDR3 modules only HyperTransport 3.0:
Faster system bus on hardware that supports HyperTransport 3.0.
Split power planes allow separate power management for CPU and integrated memory controller for improved power savings. Supports the following processors:
AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core AMD Phenom II X2 5xx AMD Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe AMD Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe AMD Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe

Max TDP = 95 Watt

NOTE: Violet3 supports only Socket-AM3 processors. Older Socket AM2+ processors are not compatible with socket AM3.

Please tell me which one is good for gamer, photo, video edit. Thank you
June 5, 2010 8:55:01 AM

Well hopsing,
Why do you think you want to upgrade your quad core having 2.6GHz to another amd processor which is faster by only 400MHz.
Well i don't think you will feel much of a difference.If you want a faster cpu why don't you give a try for overclocking your processor.Just do an upgrade for a good cpu cooler and you can OC your processor to higher clock frequencies.Also i should say your quad core is well good for all your uses.

But if you will upgrade your processor for sure then go for the phenomx 4 955BE and an good cpu cooler.You can easily get a 3.2Ghz on the stock and overclocking is just too easy with the unlocked multiplier.

But another great choice is a new processor from the thuban series if your motherboard can support six cores by a bios update.Look for bios updates at the motherboard site if you would like for a six core.I should say you will benefit from the extra cores for video editing.Well there are not much of applications or games presently that benefits from a six core but we can look out for more in the future.Also if you don't want to overclock these thuban just makes things easier by their turbo core.Still make sure your motherboard can support the six core.Presently you can get a 1090T Black editon at ~290$ and a 1055T at ~210$.

Pls give the complete specs to have a close look and give you more suggestions.
m
l
June 5, 2010 2:56:41 PM

i agree with rajiv just overclock in your situation.
m
l
!