• Flash Media
  • USB Stick
  • USB
  • USB Flash
  • Linux
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 26, 2012 2:43:00 PM

After instal Linux from Win on USB and later removing it, the 8GB usb (Integral) became a 1 GB usb stick

More about : usb flash drive 8gb 1gb

a b G Storage
April 26, 2012 2:50:09 PM

Hello,

Have you tried reformatting it? Does that USB key show up as 1GB in other computers?
m
l
April 26, 2012 3:20:18 PM

if youve tried reformatting it and it doesnt return it to its original size, some of the memory could of gone bad. Ive had this happen to a usb stick before.
m
l
Related resources
April 26, 2012 3:43:14 PM

Do you mean the you installed linux on the USB drive? if so the installation will have created some linux paritions (usually ext2,3 or 4) and maybe a swap parition.

You will need to repartition the drive if this is what happened.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
April 26, 2012 3:58:28 PM

Most likely it is just a partitioning problem.
First try using windows Disk manager to show partitions and to delete/repartition and reformat the usb drive.

Unfortanutly this may not work and you will need
A) a third partitioning disk utility, or
B) What I use. use windows cmd line diskpart cmd to remove it (what I had to do for a thumbdrive used on a Mac)
.. If diskpart is what you want to use, be cautious and make SURE it is pointing to the USB drive.
Basically (read this first):
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(v=ws.10).aspx

.. You open a dos command window WITH run with admistrator privlage. then type the following cmds.
- Diskpart Starts program Do Not type the - (ie diskpart> List disk then enter key)
- LIST DISK (shows all disk, look for Disk Number of the Drive (Your USB drive)
- SELECT DISK X (For X insert USB drive Number)
- DETAIL DISK (Detailed information of the disk that has the focus This will show if you have selected the correct drive.)
- CLEAN (One of the most practical and most dangerous: it removes at once all the partitions on the selected disk.)
Note for the next two do NOT use the size=n)
- CREATE PARTITION EXTENDED (Creates an extended partition on the current drive. After the partition has been created, the focus automatically shifts to the new partition.)
- CREATE PARTITION LOGICAL (Creates a logical drive in the extended partition. After the partition has been created, the focus automatically shifts to the new logical drive.)
- EXIT (Quits DISKPART and returns to the command prompt classic)

You should now be able to format the drive (WITH the correct space) using windows
Ref http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1172499.htm
m
l
January 29, 2014 3:29:28 PM

RetiredChief said:
First try using windows Disk manager to show partitions and to delete/repartition and reformat the usb drive.

B) What I use. use windows cmd line diskpart cmd to remove it (what I had to do for a thumbdrive used on a Mac)
.. If diskpart is what you want to use, be cautious and make SURE it is pointing to the USB drive.

.. You open a dos command window WITH run with admistrator privlage. then type the following cmds.
- Diskpart Starts program Do Not type the - (ie diskpart> List disk then enter key)
- DETAIL DISK (Detailed information of the disk that has the focus This will show if you have selected the correct drive.)
- CLEAN (One of the most practical and most dangerous: it removes at once all the partitions on the selected disk.)
- CREATE PARTITION EXTENDED (Creates an extended partition on the current drive. After the partition has been created, the focus automatically shifts to the new partition.)
- CREATE PARTITION LOGICAL (Creates a logical drive in the extended partition. After the partition has been created, the focus automatically shifts to the new logical drive.)

You should now be able to format the drive (WITH the correct space) using windows

I tried to do this but it wouldn't allow me to create a logical partition. It said "The operation is not supported on a non-empty removable disk." Even though I had "cleaned" it like you suggested.

m
l
February 4, 2014 9:27:08 AM

wowyguy said:
RetiredChief said:

I tried to do this but it wouldn't allow me to create a logical partition. It said "The operation is not supported on a non-empty removable disk." Even though I had "cleaned" it like you suggested.

Try this after "Clean" command:
- create partition primary
- select partition 1
- active
- format fs=ntfs quick
- assign

Change "ntfs" to "fat32" or "fat" if you rather use them.
m
l
March 20, 2014 4:11:58 PM

To make it simpler, Just start Diskpart, select disk and then put just clean. then go to computer management > Right click on drive > New simple volume > follow the steps to format. Then you have to wait. It usually takes a long time to format the USB back
m
l

Best solution

March 21, 2014 10:16:33 PM

there are very few stebs all those are just making it so difficult flow these steps:-
1)go to start
2)type"cmd"
3)type"diskpart"
then write all these comands
list disk
select disk 1(replace 1 with your disk,u can check your disk by checking the size of your disk in "list disk")
clean
create partition primary
format fs=NTFS
exit

Its Done!! :wahoo: 
March 30, 2014 6:58:29 PM

Nishant Sethi said:
there are very few stebs all those are just making it so difficult flow these steps:-
1)go to start
2)type"cmd"
3)type"diskpart"
list disk
select disk 1(replace 1 with your disk,u can check your disk by checking the size of your disk in "list disk")
clean
create partition primary
format fs=NTFS
exit

That wont work. The partition has to be logical in order for windows to use the flash drive properly.
m
l
April 26, 2014 2:13:33 PM

Works for me, thanks very much!
m
l
April 28, 2014 6:51:06 AM

Thanks Nishant Sethi. My USB Stick is back from 1GB to 15GB.
m
l
May 30, 2014 3:12:39 AM

QUOTED SPAM REDACTED - SS
thanks.. saved a lot of money... and time :)  .. really great tool...
m
l
August 14, 2014 12:27:31 AM

I LOVE you Nishant <3 Thank you.
Nishant Sethi said:
1)go to start
2)type"cmd"
3)type"diskpart"
list disk
clean
create partition primary
format fs=NTFS
exit

m
l
August 22, 2014 6:19:41 PM

protea said:
After instal Linux from Win on USB and later removing it, the 8GB usb (Integral) became a 1 GB usb stick

Found a solution for anyone that finds themselves with this problem

Just use diskpart.exe to clean the disk, it is part of Win7.

Command prompt;

>\diskpart.exe

DISKPART>list disk

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600
Copyright © 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: CEWSAU-10001

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 68 GB 0 B
Disk 1 Online 465 GB 9 MB
Disk 2 Online 465 GB 1024 KB
Disk 3 Online 596 GB 0 B
Disk 4 Online 59 GB 0 B
Disk 5 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 6 No Media 0 B 0 B

DISKPART> sel disk x
"X = the number of your USB drive, make sure you select the right drive"

Disk x is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

DISKPART> create partition primary

DISKPART> format fs=fat32

DISKPART> assign

DISKPART> exit

You should now have a new clean fat32 partition on the USB drive that takes up the total capacity of the drive.
Source
m
l
!