Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do the GTX 200's need a SLI Mother Board

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2010 7:43:50 AM

I think its kinda a dumb question, but I read on the best of March 10's graphic cards, it says that the 5870 & 5850 don't need
a CrossfireX mobo, so I was wondering if this is true, and if so is there any SLI cards that don't need SLI capable mobo???
I might of been reading out of context but heres the link I read it at:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

I was hoping there was because Nvidia isn't all that bad, but since I am an AMDer there isn't any good MoBo's out there for what I need.
If I had money for Intel and there CFX/SLI boards I would, but I am cheap and on a budget lol.
Or if you have recommendations for an Intel and Mother board that has SLI setup let me know, my budget is
around 200 bucks for each(CPU,MoBo), so I would appreciate some feedback to either!!! thanks SLahser

Best solution

March 10, 2010 7:48:23 AM

To have SLI or XFire you need a motherboard that supports SLI or XFire. The only motherboards that support SLI and XFire are the x58 or P55.
If you can't afford any of them then you need to buy an nVidia chipset motherboard for SLI or P35/P45, X38, x48, AMD chipset for XFire.
March 10, 2010 8:09:26 AM

Well thats what I thought, I just thought I would ask, that page must not be talking about multiple cards.
But I just wanted to check cause I am going to set up a CrossfireX rig and I was going to go with nvidia because
I am getting a TV that has 3-D, but the mother boards for SLI arn't as good as the amd3 MoBo's for ATI cards.
I did check with newegg about some of the intel's but the BIG BANG is a little to much for me.
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2010 1:25:55 PM

Well you only need SLI or CrossfireX capable mobos if you are going with dual GPU's. Im not sure if the 5970 will require a CFX mobo, but my guess is that it wont given that its not communicating over PCI-e.

The only requirement for a single card setup is a PCI-e x16 port on your mobo. PCI-e 2.0 x16 is prefered though, but a 1.0 will still be able to run it.
m
l
March 10, 2010 1:37:17 PM

Just to reiterate what Yngvi said

1 graphics card, don't worry bout crossfire or SLI
2 graphics card, worry bout crossfire or SLI

seems like that might be the question here.
m
l
March 10, 2010 7:43:54 PM

Ok thats what they were saying hey on the above do you mean
1 Graphic card dont worry about SLI and CFX mobo's
2x Graphic Cards worry about SLI and CFX Mobo's...

I wanted to go with SLI and stuff because the 60" mitsubishi tv I am going to get
has 3D ready, but they just email me back, and I can plug a Xbox 360 or PS3
in and as long as there on the right setting I can play them in 3D.

You would think if you could plug via HDMI in your PS3 that you could
plug in your computer, but I guess thats not possible with out Nvidia card setup.

Anyways I think that Radeon is the way to go, they have had there GDDR5 and Dx11 out
for way longer, and I am predicting that now that there is a little competetion as
to none(like right now), they should lower there prices just a tad, that way it would
be insane to get a Fermi card, watch I bet there waiting to strike back the second those
cards start to sell.
m
l
March 10, 2010 7:45:35 PM

scatch what I wrote about your above post I thought you were saying 1st of all and then 2nd. NOT 1 card and 2 cards, I got ya my bad for quoting something that dosen't just a little quick draw.
m
l
!