Need advice on tranporting my computer with a liquid cooling system:

Status
Not open for further replies.

szimmer100

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hello,

I will be moving to Colombia in 3 weeks and will need to transport my Cyberpower desktop. I have a CYBERPOWER 240 WATER COOLER KIT installed in the desktop.

Is it recommended to put the desktop into a suitcase and check it in as luggage with the water cooler kit as is?

Or should I empty the liquid first?

I will remove my HD's and take them as hand luggage but I am not sure what I should do with the water cooler kit?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

Solution
Depends if this is an XSPC kit rebrand or a closed loop cooler rebrand.

Can you link to the page where you got it? I want to make sure which one before you decide to drain it...a closed loop cooler shouldn't be drained, will void the warranty if you do, and if you don't know how to fix it, you have a broken cooler that won't work.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would recommend draining the fluids, definitely.

Regarding checking as luggage, it would be safer to ship the item separately (via FEDEX, UPS, DHL, etc) because they will pack and handle properly. Stuffing in luggage is likely to result in a damaged system.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Depends if this is an XSPC kit rebrand or a closed loop cooler rebrand.

Can you link to the page where you got it? I want to make sure which one before you decide to drain it...a closed loop cooler shouldn't be drained, will void the warranty if you do, and if you don't know how to fix it, you have a broken cooler that won't work.

Solution

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Columbia? you might want to check with the Feds there is some computer equipment you can't take out of the country I know for a long time you couldn't even take an xbox to some countries

szimmer100

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Hello,

To be honest, I am not sure what type it is. I took some pictures. Can you tell from the photos?

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

Thanks for your time.

Simon

szimmer100

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Good point! Not sure where to check, let me see what I can find on google.

Thanks!

Simon

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Looks like an XSPC rebrand...so not a closed loop cooler. You'd want to drain the water/coolant before shipping, but might be ok.

To be sure, contact Cyberpower to see what they recommend. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't air shipped with water to your house when you buy, unless it was empty and you had to fill it when you opened the box. Given that you don't seem to know much about watercooling, if you drain it, you then have to refill and purge air from the loop once you want to use it again...so this is a set of steps you might wish to learn about anyway.

Alternative- buy an air cooler, pull the water loop, and install air cooler before shipment.

szimmer100

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

This is getting more complicated than I thought. :(

I checked into FedEX shipping prices and it is around $1200. :(

Maybe it is time to buy a laptop. ;)

I appreciate the support.

Best regards,

Simon

Its an Xspc Rs240 Rasa kit, drain it and I would seriously think about flushing the loop to clean it before refilling, what is in there? tap water?
Drain the loop and take it as luggage, pack the inside of the case with your socks and shorts to pad everything and stop it from moving around
Moto

szimmer100

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi everyone! Just wanted to say my computer made it to Colombia and I am using it now. :) I ended up using DHL International Express. Also I had to pay some taxes for importing a computer. I recommend this site for calculating the cost:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

Thanks for everyone's help. Have a great Sunday!

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.