What power supply to get

In the summer I am upgrading from my GTS 250 to a ATI HD 5870 2gb, the sapphire vapor-x model, and possibly setting up eyefinity, that depends on budget.

Now I have a 520 Cooler Master realpower power supply, and even though it should be enough, I think that I would really be pushing it to it's limit.

Im giving my old GTS250 to my brother, and he needs a new power supply to go with it, (currenly an old antec 350 watt PSU), so I was thinking to also give him my old power supply, and then I would have an excuse to get a new one. (otherwise I would probably have seen how it worked with 5870).

Now I think I want around 750 watts, that should be plenty, and a very good margin.

so unless you guys say that the 520 watt is really more than plenty, and I grab my brother a cheap PSU, what is your advice on what I should get.

I am buying from the netherlands, and then exporting to bahrain, getting a tax stamp at airport to cut off 19% which I payed. I've had a look at prices, and incl tax, 100 euro seems like a good budget, but plenty can be found for less.

Thanks a lot guys!
4 answers Last reply
More about what power supply
  1. http://www.antec.outervision.com/
    use this to get an idea of the psu power required
  2. configuring everything I have currently: 514 watts.
    with 20% capacitor aging: 606 watts.

I have had this PSU for 1.5 yrs... How is it still operating. Must explain why it's working so hard.

With 5870: 576 watts.
    with 20% capacitor aging: 681 watts.

Safe to assume I need a new PSU. 700 watts good or should I be looking at more to be safe for future upgrades?
  3. corair tx 750 or antec tp new 750 will run even dual 5870's
  4. Here you have the power supply requirement for your new system:
    650 Watt or greater power supply one 75W 6-pin and one 150W 8-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended (850 Watt with two 75W 6-pin and two 150W 8-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireXTM technology in dual mode)

Therefore, you should buy a new PSU to be able to run the 5870 2Gb properly. Give the CM PSU to your brother.

If you are thinking about NOT to do CF, I recommend you the following PSUs:

ANTEC Truepower NEW 650W (by Seasonic) (modular)
    CORSAIR HX650 (by Seasonic) (modular)
    CORSAIR TX650 (by Seasonic)
    ENERMAX Liberty Eco II 620W CrossFireX (modular)
    ENERMAX Pro82+ II 625W CrossFireX
    THERMALTAKE Toughpower XT 675W (by CWT) (modular)
    SAPPHIRE FirePsu 625W (by Enermax) (modular)
    IKONIK Vulcan 650W (by CWT) (modualr)
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cooler Master Sapphire Components