Sign in with
Your question

New top end system

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 5:29:37 AM

Hi, I'm going to build a second computer and I'm just looking for input and advice! This will be primarily used for gaming, but it will also be doing photo editing and video encoding etc.

Tower: ThermalTake L10

CPU: Intel i7 920 D0 Stepping

GPU: ATi 5870 or nVidia480, might choose to CFX or SLi later.

PSU: Corsair HX 1000W

Motherboard: Undecided, but I want USB 3.0, SATA 3.0, with at least 2 x16 PCI E lanes and good potential for overclocking. Maybe the Gigabyte X58A-UD5? What're your opinions on getting a better board for overclocking and just getting a 3.0 adapter?

SSD: Intel X25-M 80 GB (for OS, all programs, maybe 1 or 2 games)

HDD: Seagate 500 GB 7200.12, will upgrade for more space later.

RAM: Corsair Dominator 6 GB

Cooler: Notcua NH-D14

Thermal Compound: Either Tuniq TX-3, Artic Cooling AS5 or one of the Shin Etsu ones.

Any input/advice would be appreciated! Thank you :) 

More about : top end system

March 26, 2010 5:55:44 AM

Unless you're happy to spend huge amounts of money for your PC to match your modern decor, there's no good reason to spend $850 on the Thermaltake Level 10.
It also seems to have a few cable management and cooling issues.
Why not instead budget 200 or 300 for a top-end traditional aluminum full-tower case and then buy another (or a larger) SSD or HDD?
If you have the budget, you may also want to look into water cooling if you're going to be overclocking the GPUs as well. I think there's a 5870 sold with a waterblock on newegg.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 4:10:33 PM

Why the i7-920 instead of the i7-930?

Corsair RAM tends to be overpriced, especially the Dominator series. The current sweet spot for RAM is CAS Latency 7 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz. There are a number of choices in that range, but if you're throwing money around (the Level 10 suggests that you might not be opposed to spending a little more on RAM), there are 3 Mushkin Enhanced 6 GB CAS 6 1600 MHz kits on newegg that are all less expensive than similar Corsair RAM. This kit is the least expensive, at $220 after a $30 rebate.

The equivalent Corsair RAM is $400.
!