Y570 Throttling, Over, Under, or stock clocks

Last response: in Overclocking
February 6, 2013 2:28:08 PM

Hi Guys... Weird problem.

I have a Lenovo Y570
Specs:
Windows 7 64 Bit professional
i7 2630QM
GT555M 1GB DDR5 (the 96 core GF108 one @ 753mhz/1570Mhz Memory) With Optimus Intel 3000
DX11.0
Nvidia Driver: 267.43
8GB Ram
500GB 7200RPM HD

History:
I've had to rebuild the machine, and left out most of Lenovo's BloatWare. I've installed their Video Drivers as the 555M is an OEM chip, and optimus works fine.

What appears to be happening, is that the GPU is throttling. Battlefield 3 will be fluid for 2 seconds, and chop for 1 second, to the point where its unplayable.

I used MSI Afterburner to try and underclock the card a bit to see if that was the issues. Note that the temps hover around 81 degrees when playing battlefield 3.

Furmark (Kombuster) does the same thing (Smooth and chop)

what is weird is that the GPU Utilization falls down to 30%.

I read on some other forums that Lenovo slathers on WAY to much thermal paste. So I took my laptop apart and used some AC5 on the CPU/GPU after giving it all a good cleaning. The temps have dropped by 6-10 degrees C, but the issue still remains, (even at 70 degrees instead of 80!)

I've also gotten Throttlestop, But aren't entirely sure how to use it. I've never seen the power usage hit 45 watts ( the tdp for my chip) And the temps are well below 100*C (which is the max for my CPU before it throttles itself.)

I JUST booted up Battlefield 3 and experienced the issue, and Here are the screencaps from Afterburner and Logs of Throttlestop.

Anyone see whats going on? its getting kind of rediculous.

Any help is super appreciated!
February 7, 2013 1:00:36 AM

Alright, so Small Update - I saw a Youtube video of a guy who goes into Power management, and lowers maximum processor state to 85%. I did this... No more stuttering. The temps are actually HIGHER, because the GPU never throttles, so it makes no sense as to why this is happening.

Any ideas? I'd like to use all 100% Of my CPU.

sudz said:
Hi Guys... Weird problem.

I have a Lenovo Y570
Specs:
Windows 7 64 Bit professional
i7 2630QM
GT555M 1GB DDR5 (the 96 core GF108 one @ 753mhz/1570Mhz Memory) With Optimus Intel 3000
DX11.0
Nvidia Driver: 267.43
8GB Ram
500GB 7200RPM HD

History:
I've had to rebuild the machine, and left out most of Lenovo's BloatWare. I've installed their Video Drivers as the 555M is an OEM chip, and optimus works fine.

What appears to be happening, is that the GPU is throttling. Battlefield 3 will be fluid for 2 seconds, and chop for 1 second, to the point where its unplayable.

I used MSI Afterburner to try and underclock the card a bit to see if that was the issues. Note that the temps hover around 81 degrees when playing battlefield 3.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/sudz3/Throttling_zps0a763ce3.jpg

Furmark (Kombuster) does the same thing (Smooth and chop)

what is weird is that the GPU Utilization falls down to 30%.

I read on some other forums that Lenovo slathers on WAY to much thermal paste. So I took my laptop apart and used some AC5 on the CPU/GPU after giving it all a good cleaning. The temps have dropped by 6-10 degrees C, but the issue still remains, (even at 70 degrees instead of 80!)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/sudz3/throttling3_zpsc69298dc.jpg

I've also gotten Throttlestop, But aren't entirely sure how to use it. I've never seen the power usage hit 45 watts ( the tdp for my chip) And the temps are well below 100*C (which is the max for my CPU before it throttles itself.)

I JUST booted up Battlefield 3 and experienced the issue, and Here are the screencaps from Afterburner and Logs of Throttlestop.

Anyone see whats going on? its getting kind of rediculous.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/sudz3/throttle4_zpse76f1da0.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/sudz3/Throttle5_zpsb275b4db.jpg

Any help is super appreciated!

m
l
!