Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Gaming
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 26, 2012 4:08:16 PM

Hi,

I have an 5 year old gaming computer lying around, which I have been trying to sell for peanuts and no one is interested ( and rightly so )
I was thinking perhaps I could turn this into a fileserver of some kind?
I dont know where to start looking or what is required, just alot of hard drives :p 
Im looking for probably around 5TB of storage for now, will upgrade that to 20TB in two years perhaps.

But yeah, I know very little on this so some sites to steer me in the right direction could help.

Thanks

More about : turning gaming computer fileserver

a b G Storage
April 26, 2012 4:16:21 PM

Hello,

Well first off list your complete specifications of your old computer...then we could go about reccomending stuff. Motherboard...CPU...ram...etc
m
l
a c 206 4 Gaming
a c 138 G Storage
April 26, 2012 4:37:31 PM

not very much is needed to turn a pc into a file server today. just a mb with a few good sata ports and a drive enclosers to hold the drives.
http://www.icydock.com/index.php
some drives and a file server os (Microsoft or any other file server software).
one good working Ethernet port.
i would start by looking at your mb chipset and what lev of raid they do (1/5/10).
some people if the mb chipset is real old or they dont want to have any raid issues they toss in an adaptec controler card.
use a cheap small drive and the os drive then put your larger drives on the raid card.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 26, 2012 4:39:19 PM

First, look at your motherboard - does it have enough disk connections (SATA) for at least three drives you would like to start with (one for OS, two for storage). Then, look at the case - how many disks you can stuff here without overheating? Finally, your power supply - does it have enough juice for five or ten hard disks?

You can reduce the load on the hard drive if you replace your power-hungry videocard with something more modest.

As for software - if Windows is your domain, you can (at least initially) keep it as is. One logical upgrade would be Windows Home Server.

There are plenty of Linux-based NAS-like operating systems around to play with. It all depends on what you want your file server to serve - files, media etc.
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:01:50 AM

I was actually about to ask the same question myself. I was thinking of upgrading my desktop and use the old E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz processor and 2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM kit from it. There was about a $50 mini-ITX motherboard on Newegg I was thinking of purchasing for the setup since my current ATX motherboard in there seems a bit big, and of course I would need a few hard drives. I've just never dealt with RAID/NAS setups so I wasn't too sure how those parts would fare in it, or if I would be better off getting some DDR3 and a Llano APU for about $150 now and save myself the trouble later on. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:02:47 AM

I was actually about to ask the same question myself. I was thinking of upgrading my desktop and use the old E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz processor and 2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM kit from it. There was about a $50 mini-ITX motherboard on Newegg I was thinking of purchasing for the setup since my current ATX motherboard in there seems a bit big, and of course I would need a few hard drives. I've just never dealt with RAID/NAS setups so I wasn't too sure how those parts would fare in it, or if I would be better off getting some DDR3 and a Llano APU for about $150 now and save myself the trouble later on. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
m
l
!