Sign in with
Your question

No display after waking computer from sleep

Last response: in Systems
March 26, 2010 10:30:08 AM

Display issue
I just built my system about 2 weeks ago. Everyone was working just fine. I have not touched any overclocking properties and everything is running stock from the box. I have my computer to shut monitor off after 5 mins of no use and go to sleep mode after 15 mins of no use. Just yesterday when i would wake it from sleep mode, it would not display any graphics. I have to hit the reset button to get the graphics to come back. Sometimes it would work after one reset, sometimes it take 3. I am thinking my GPU is the culprit. When the computer comes from sleep mode, it sounds like it is doing what it is suppose to. All drivers are up to date and i even re-installed the GPU driver. Even if i disconnect the monitor cable and reconnect its a no go.

Any ideas before i return my video card?

I7 930
asus P6X58D
Radeon HD 5770 Xtream
Win 7
March 26, 2010 1:14:52 PM

Which drivers do you have installed? This was a known issue with the 5xxx series drivers before 10.2 was released (10.3 was just released 2 days ago).
m
l
March 26, 2010 1:28:26 PM

After suffering with lots of go to sleep and wake from sleep mode issues with ATI graphics - I do not think its your graphics card. There is a possibility but it is driven via the driver and we all run the same driver. My system would take 5 mins to wake from sleep until ATI released 10.1 and then everything started to work - well except it still wont go to sleep by itself...

You infer it was working for awhile? Was it? Or did you just get around to tuning sleep mode?

Power supply has a lot to do with waking from sleep - what size, are you using a dedicated power line from the supply?

What interface from the card to the monitor - did you check both ends of the connection? I have seen things like this with 19x12 or 19x10 monitors using single DVI connectors - try a DVI - dual link cable (single cables are identified by having two sets of pins, dual go all the way across).

That it doesnt start after a reset concerns me. Could be the card, PSU, memory, motherboard, add-in cards...pull everything you can out and see if it will work. Pull out all RAM, extra drives, DVD (disconnect them - you dont need to remove them) and see if it works.

If not then RMA the card, but be prepared to start replacing other components...
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2010 2:04:02 PM

VVhocare5 answers:

It was working until the other day, i would come home from work each day and click the mouse button and it would turn on right away since it was built. When i got home the other day i clicked the button and the cpu would come on but the monitor wouldnt.

I have a CORSAIR 850W, only the fan plugs into the PSU, the grafics card gets it power from the PCI express MOBO.

i have tried multiple video cables with the same results

hardwaretec answer:
I dont know the driver right now, i am at work for the night i will check when i get home in the morning
m
l
March 28, 2010 11:13:46 PM

all drivers have been updated and i am still getting the problem. Now the computer wont go to sleep but after 15 mins it shuts off the monitors and doesnt bring them back unless i reset the cpu. Now i only have to reset it once for the monitors to come back though.
m
l
May 24, 2011 8:42:31 PM

Hi,
I've got the same problem as you did you manage to fix it?
m
l
May 24, 2011 8:55:20 PM

I've got the same problem as you did you manage to fix it?
m
l
May 31, 2011 12:38:53 PM

i reinstalled windows and all drivers and now it works. PFM from what i can figure out.
m
l
May 31, 2011 12:42:25 PM

If it happen again you can try disconnect/reconnect cable from your graphic card, its working at least for me.
m
l
August 1, 2014 4:34:41 PM

In a DOS command prompt, (Run as administrator), you can enter the below commands to:

ECHO This will change the monitor timeout when plugged in AC to 10 min
powercfg -change -monitor-timeout-ac 10

ECHO This will change the monitor timeout when using battery (DC) to 10 min
powercfg -change -monitor-timeout-dc 10

ECHO This will change the disk timeout on AC to 10 min
powercfg -change -disk-timeout-ac 10

ECHO This will change the disk timeout on battery (DC) to 10 min
powercfg -change -disk-timeout-dc 10

ECHO This will change the standby timeout on AC to 10 min
powercfg -change -standby-timeout-ac 10

ECHO This will change the standby timeout on battery (DC) to 10 min
powercfg -change -standby-timeout-dc 10

ECHO This will change the hibernate timeout on AC to 10 min
powercfg -change -hibernate-timeout-ac 10

ECHO This will change the hibernate timeout on battery (DC) to 10 min
powercfg -change -hibernate-timeout-dc 10

ECHO this will enable hibernate
powercfg -h on

After doing the DOS commands, then go into control panel and adjust the settings to whatever you want.

This way, after resume from sleep, the monitor will auto turn on and the display will come back online.

---------

You can set a schedule to wake up pc from sleep mode for start of Office Hours and go into sleep mode for end of Office Hours.

So if Office Hours:
M-F: 10AM – 9PM
Sat: 9:30AM – 9PM
Sun: 11AM – 7PM

1) create a sleep.bat file with
Rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep

2) create a wake.bat file with
echo wake

3) then in dos, create schedule
SchTasks /Create /SC WEEKLY /D MON,TUE,WED,THU,FRI /TN System_Sleep_Weekdays /TR “C:\icg-services\schedule\sleep.bat” /ST 19:00 /RL HIGHEST /RU system
SchTasks /Create /SC WEEKLY /D SAT /TN System_Sleep_Saturdays /TR “C:\icg-services\schedule\sleep.bat” /ST 19:00 /RL HIGHEST /RU system
SchTasks /Create /SC WEEKLY /D SUN /TN System_Sleep_Sundays /TR “C:\icg-services\schedule\sleep.bat” /ST 17:00 /RL HIGHEST /RU system
SchTasks /Create /SC WEEKLY /D MON,TUE,WED,THU,FRI /TN System_Wake_Weekdays /TR “C:\icg-services\schedule\wake.bat” /ST 10:00 /RL HIGHEST /RU system
SchTasks /Create /SC WEEKLY /D SAT /TN System_Wake_Saturdays /TR “C:\icg-services\schedule\wake.bat” /ST 9:30 /RL HIGHEST /RU system
SchTasks /Create /SC WEEKLY /D SUN /TN System_Wake_Sundays /TR “C:\icg-services\schedule\wake.bat” /ST 11:00 /RL HIGHEST /RU system
m
l
!