Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Project (Don't tell my wife how much it cost

Last response: in Overclocking
February 6, 2013 5:11:13 PM

Water cooling sanity check
Okay I think I have settled on the following wanted to ask the experts before I hit place order
Everything’s is from Frozencpu.com (not the best price but they had it all in stocks ALL Fittings are black 3/8 Compression type by Koolance
I picked these items to match the theme I am going for with this build while I don’t really think I need the Mosfet and Chipset water cooled I don’t like the blue heat sinks on the motherboard I have . My plan is to build Black with Red Lighting

Motherboard
HeatKiller MB-Set Asus P9x79 125.93
Ram
2 Corsair Dominator Water Blocks 97.94
CPU
EK Supremacy 2011 Cooling Block 91.97
GPU
2 Swiftech Komodo HD7970 Full coverage Water Block 347.86
Pumps
Dual Swiftech MCP655-PWM with dual 60/200MM Reservoir
Radiators
Dual Black Ice GT Xtreme 420
Loop 1
Reservoir to pump to CPU to radiator to memory to Chipset to Reservoir
Loop 2 Reservoir to pump to GPU1 to Radiator to GPU2 to pump
OR
Reservoir to pump to GPU1 to GPU2 to Radiator to reservoir

OR

Monster Loop 3 Single Radiator 2 pumps
2 Bitspower 6-Way G1/4 Connector Block - Silver (BP-MTSMB)
Phobya G-Changer XTREME Nova 1080 Full Copper Radiator - 60mm
Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 Inline Reservoir (BP-WTZM250P-BK)

Radiator to pump to 6 Way Splitter
Splitter 1 CPU Splitter 2
Splitter 2 Mosfet Splitter 2
Splitter 3 Memory 1 Splitter 2
** Splitter 4 Memory 2 Splitter 2 (could also be Y’ed off of Memory 1)
Splitter 5 GPU1 Splitter 2
Splitter 6 GPU2 Splitter 2
Splitter 2 to reservoir to Pump2 to radiator

More about : project wife cost

a c 325 K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 5:18:12 PM

Can you add links to all items to easily compare?

Why MOSFET, chipset and RAM blocks? And why all the splitters?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 5:25:43 PM

I'm no pro but I think that a 2-loop system would be better than splitting a bunch...

Just my opinion.... wouldn't you have to have more tubes/pipes in the splitter system?
m
l
Related resources
a c 325 K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 5:53:53 PM

You really don't want to split your flow in a watercooling loop unless it's a last resort effort to reduce restriction.

CPU and 2 GPU loop can easily be done in a single loop...there is a lot of unnecessary gear in his list above unless he just wants to spend money and reduce flow. I would like to see a graphic of the loop to see exactly his plans and like you said, 2 loops would be better if he is actually going to run all that stuff...just hope he ditches the splitter idea across the board. Those Y-fittings will do nothing but cause problems.
m
l
February 6, 2013 5:54:18 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Can you add links to all items to easily compare?

Why MOSFET, chipset and RAM blocks? And why all the splitters?

Because I don't like the stock Blue ones on my motherboard no other reason then that.

the SPlitters were only one of three options was tossing a few different ideas out.
m
l
February 6, 2013 6:01:23 PM

rubix_1011 said:
You really don't want to split your flow in a watercooling loop unless it's a last resort effort to reduce restriction.

CPU and 2 GPU loop can easily be done in a single loop...there is a lot of unnecessary gear in his list above unless he just wants to spend money and reduce flow. I would like to see a graphic of the loop to see exactly his plans and like you said, 2 loops would be better if he is actually going to run all that stuff...just hope he ditches the splitter idea across the board. Those Y-fittings will do nothing but cause problems.

I even said the Mosfet and Chipset blocks were not needed I am only getting them because I don't like the stock blue color on my motherboard.

I put the splitter in as a third option figured with the splitter and that monster 9x140 radi it might be an options but I wanted to get the input of people far better then myself

I came up with the idea of splitting the flow as a possible way to use just the one radi but like I said it was only an option.

the Memory blocks I added because Corsair Link temp monitoring fans were Sold out and the flat black blocks give it a cleaner look imho
m
l

Best solution

a c 325 K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 6:37:30 PM

You're spending how much on MB water blocks when you could just get a new motherboard or simply paint those components? Seems like an odd allocation of funds just because of some heatsinks being the wrong color.
February 6, 2013 6:41:25 PM

rubix_1011 said:
You're spending how much on MB water blocks when you could just get a new motherboard or simply paint those components? Seems like an odd allocation of funds just because of some heatsinks being the wrong color.

No one has ever accused me of being normal or sane, I picked the ASUS P9X79 DELUXE because it has all the features I wanted and got great reviews from multiple sources the only thing I don't like about it is the smurf blood color

I picked the GPU water block because they got good reviews and are flat black so I can add one of these to the top of each one programs to scroll HAL-9000

the Flat black Memory and chipset water Blocks will also allow me to have some vinal decals made up to keep with the whole Hal-9000 theme

http://www.micro4you.com/store/led/8-digit-7-segment-le...

m
l
February 6, 2013 7:25:05 PM
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 6, 2013 9:04:32 PM

Flagging to respond from Pc
Moto
m
l
February 6, 2013 9:33:17 PM

I think I am leaning towards this setup, still trying to find the technical details on the radiator (Phobya G-Changer XTREME Nova 1080 http://www.phobya.com/eng/phobya.html) to make sure it can handle the heat load what do you all think of this loop?
|From Radiator| -->|Reservoir 1|--> |Pump1|-->|Cpu|-->|Memory 1| --> |Memory2| -->|Chipset| --> |GPU1| --> |GPU2| -->|Pump2| --> To Radiator

Specs on the Radiator
Delta T 600 U/min 12,3
Delta T 800 U/min 9,4
Delta T 1200 U/min 7,2
Flow Rate in Liters 177
The Pumps are (317GPH) 1200LPH (13Foot) 4M Maximum Head each pump has a 60/200MM Reservoir

m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 7, 2013 1:26:50 PM

A 1080 is technically three 360's so if you average out the 'One 120 per 125w' rule you have more than enough headroom to cool a Cpu/2xGpu loop almost silently
I'd reiterate the no mobo/ram blocks feeling, they really aren't necessary and will damage your flowrate badly
If you don't like your heatsinks colour then remove the sink, soak it in acetone or similar to get the paint off, theres a how-to I found Here
And if you are up to it, re-anodise it whatever colour you like Info here
Always ways and we make a lot of them up here :) 
Moto
m
l
February 7, 2013 4:05:19 PM

OKay I'll drop the Mosfet, chipset and Ram Blocks I'll have to find memory or a fan that color matches then, does anyone here think my idea for a single loop is flawed?

|From Radiator| -->|Reservoir 1|--> |Pump1|-->|Cpu|-->|GPU1| --> |GPU2| -->|Pump2| --> To Radiator

Do I still need the second pump with this setup?

m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 7, 2013 4:40:45 PM

**OKay I'll drop the Mosfet, chipset and Ram Blocks **
/resounding cheer from the toms W/c posse :p 
A second pump is a good idea here to keep the flowrates solid, I'd have the order slightly different though,
Maybe Res>Pump1>Cpu>Rad>Pump2>Gpu1>Gpu2>Res
this keeps the pumps spaced out to keep flow balanced throughout, and allows all the blocks to get nice cool water,
with several smaller rads I'd throw one rad after the Cpu block then another after the Gpu's
Moto
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
February 7, 2013 4:56:29 PM

Single pump would work OK as well, just depends what pump and blocks are being used. Komodo blocks are usually more restrictive than others and I'm not sure if you are considering the dual pump setup linked above to be a single pump or a dual pump? A single D5 would work fine...but 2 is good for flowrates when restriction is an issue.

Loop order won't matter much, but you might see conflicting arguments about whether a radiator should immediately precede a CPU or GPU in loop order or later. My stance is that loop order makes very little to no difference in temps overall. You might see a very minor difference in temps if you place a radiator immediately before a CPU or GPU block, but the difference of that config vs. having the radiator before the pump would be very debatable.

pump > CPU > GPU > GPU > rad > res

Should perform almost exactly as:

pump > rad > CPU > GPU > GPU > res

15-30w of possible heat dump by the pump shouldn't make a substantial addition to temps based on the rad being before or after it in loop order. And, if you have calculated enough headroom for your delta, you should have room to spare anyway.
m
l
February 14, 2013 1:33:24 PM

Best answer selected by belezeebub.
m
l
!