What do you think of these products!?

G

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-029-OE

I've just purchased it, but I think I've rushed into the purchase.

I'm building a PC for my younger brother, although its my first time!

I have a budget of around 800£ maximum. I've purchased the above link and am thinking of an antec case + PSU. Not sure on the graphics card yet.

Going to go for windows 7 (not included in budget) and already have mouse, speakers etc.

I'm fairly worried that it is older technology, do you think it will be powerful enough for a little bit of gaming, lots of photoshoping etc?

All the best!

You screwed the pooch on this one. The LGA775 socket is a dead socket. You've locked yourself into a lot of old tech without much of an upgrade path. It *might* be alright in some games, but you're going to have some trouble with trying to play the newest ones at the best settings. Photoshop will be performing horrendously (at least compared to what you could have gotten).

Luckily, even with the 600 pounds you have left (plus whatever you can sell that stuff for), you can still get a good computer. Try pricing this out over there (the site the links and prices are from won't ship internationally):

CPU/Mobo: X3 440 and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $195 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
GPU: HD 5850 $300
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Earthwatts 650W $130
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $24

Total: $819 (600 GBP is about $900). If you've got some budget left over, up the CPU to a X4 635 or even a X4 955.

G

Thanks for the quick reply :) I'll try and call up and cancel the order - not sure how possible that is though! I'll read through your post ASAP and reply properly :) thanks again!

G

Ok, canceled! thank god! Although, I'm without that money for about a week - no one to blame but myself! cheers.

G

That's what I have so far - need to get the motherboard from somewhere else, but I reckon the ones you got will be fine :)

Can anyone see any obvious issues or anything important I'm missing, keeping in mind I have the monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers and OS!

DDR2 RAM will not work with either of the mobos that have been suggested to you.
The GTS 250 is a bit weak for gaming, depending on the resolution, so I'd check it against some benchmarks of games that I would be interested in playing. However if gaming isn't a high priority it will probably be fine.