Sign in with
Your question

Built the computer and it wont turn on

Last response: in Systems
March 26, 2010 2:10:26 PM

OK so i got a HAf 922, AMD 965 BE, asus m4a79xtd evo, corsair 750 watt PSU.

The mother board green LED light comes on when i turn on the PSU power. But when i hit the case power button nothing turns on, no fans spinning or anything. Im pretty sure i connected everything i needed to. I plugged the HDD and DVD with sata power from the PSu and the sata from them to the mobo, the HDD is plugged into the sata E1. I have 2 pci e in the 5870. there are 3 cords not plugged in, 2x PCIe and 1-4pin one. I have some picture but i need some help. When i push the power button on the case, i see the PSU fan move like an inch.

so many wires!!!!
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 2:52:27 PM

Please perform EVERY step in the READ before posting about boot/no video problems! sticky at the top of the forum.

It sounds like at least one of your problems is #2 on the checklist. The 4-pin CPU power connector isn't on the motherboard for looks. It provides the CPU with power. The system doesn't have a chance of booting without power to that connector.
m
l
March 26, 2010 2:57:56 PM

o i didnt know not to post sry.
yea the 4 pin connector is in there.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 3:00:05 PM

I guess I mis-read your post. It sounded to me like you didn't have the 4-pin CPU power connector plugged in. Either way, let us know how it goes after you've performed EVERY step in the checklist linked above. It was created to troubleshoot this exact type of problem and will fix the problem 90% of the time.
m
l
March 26, 2010 3:18:33 PM

Well i took everything out. I wasnt able to get the stock heatsink and fan out because the thermal paste i put on seems to have glues it down. Im gonna build it again.
m
l
March 26, 2010 3:34:18 PM

maybe i used too much thermal paste? i only put a small dot.
how/should i clean these off?

m
l
March 26, 2010 4:28:18 PM

no no no i dont think too much thermal paste is it, have a look see if all the plugs are in,is the psu switch on? is check to see if the on/off switch in disconnected form motherbord and case? are any pins bent on the motherbord?
m
l
March 26, 2010 4:37:34 PM

no pins are bent, the PSU is definitely on. Also the mobo is getting power cause on my mobo i read in the manual theres a green LED that lights up when its on/ready. And it comes on when i hit the PSU switch. i dont see any pins that are bent.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 9:47:36 PM

cyproz said:
no pins are bent, the PSU is definitely on. Also the mobo is getting power cause on my mobo i read in the manual theres a green LED that lights up when its on/ready. And it comes on when i hit the PSU switch. i dont see any pins that are bent.

Not true.

The green LED is powered by the small independent 5 volt standby power supply inside the PSU. All it means is that the PSU is plugged into the wall and the PSU switch is on. It has nothing to do with the main circuits that actually power the PC.
m
l
March 26, 2010 10:02:05 PM

You sure you have the cable from the case attatched to exactly the right pins on the motherboard?

that took me 2 tries to get right with this build.

Because if your on button isn't connected to anything, well...
m
l
March 26, 2010 11:35:21 PM

hey i got it to work, i guess i just did it wrong some how, not sure but its working now and im posting this on it.
m
l
!