Sign in with
Your question
Solved

About to buy a 5770, just some quick questions first

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2010 4:04:12 PM

Hey all,

I am about to pull the trigger on a Powercolor 1gb 5770 I found a sweet deal on at zipzoomfly: ]http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10012284&ps=homain2] but have some questions before I commit.

First, is powercolor a quality manufacturer? I haven't heard much about them but they seem popular enough (both in volume and ratings on newegg) and I just wanted to see if anyone here had any experience (good or bad) with them, not necessarily this specific card.

Second, if I buy this Powercolor, will I be able to crossfire it with a 5770 of another brand? ie Sapphire or XFX.

Finally, and I understand that this is purely speculative, but could this deal just be the beginning in a wave of them intended to lower inventory levels of ATI cards prior to the Fermi release? I know that some are calling for price drops once the release happens later this month, but others had said that the 5770 will likely not benefit because nvidia is not introducing cards in that price range. Any ideas there?

As always, thanks in advance to all for helping out a quasi-noob in his hardware ignorance.
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 10, 2010 4:09:24 PM

Powercolor is generally considered a bit sketchy. I'm not sure if their cards are really of lower quality but I've heard bad things about their customer service. You might want to pay a little more for a card from a more respected manufacturer. Perhaps this;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yes you can crossfire with cards of a different brand, or even an HD5750(but you wouldn't want to.)
m
l
March 10, 2010 4:26:01 PM

I wouldn't want to crossfire a 5770 with a 5750 or I wouldn't want to crossfire different brands? I assume you meant the former but I'd like to clarify.
m
l
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 10, 2010 4:36:14 PM

Yes, the former.
m
l
March 10, 2010 4:49:32 PM

It's a good card.
I've read a review somewhere and if my memory serves me right, the card is the quietest 5770 they've tested so far, a tad hotter than the reference design but also a tad faster.
m
l

Best solution

a c 191 U Graphics card
March 10, 2010 5:22:30 PM

@ Thekin367: Yes, it is possible to crossfire cards from different makers, just check the specs of your motherboard to make sure it supports crossfire, AMD and Intel chipsets usually do, Nvidia (Nforce) never do.
If the motherboard only supports CF in X8 X8 PCI-E mode, do not worry, the HD5770 is nowhere near fast enough to suffer any performance loss from the lower link width.
If you intend to crossfire two of the cards you have linked to, check your case has good airflow, efficient as it is the HD5770 still puts out a fair bit of heat at full load and may cause thermal problems if your case lacks ventilation.
Powercolor does seem to lack the steller cutomer support and warranty of some others, if that is importaint, pay a little more and get that peace of mind.
March 11, 2010 3:26:51 PM

Best answer selected by thekin367.
m
l
!