Eyefinity w/ a displayport to hdmi passive adapter

jclown

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I have a Radeon 5770 and i have 2 monitors and a hdtv that i would like to able to run off of that card. After hours of searching and reading I think i have found an adapter that will work. It is a passive displayport to hdmi adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CXV92W/ref=s9_sims_se_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=04AEGGXJA8VAWFJHWJ55&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=480051571&pf_rd_i=Bizlink%09KS10006-131
What i can tell form reading the support page from amd about validated displayport adapters.
http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx
I think this won would be considered the equivalent part by Accell under the bizlink KS10006-131
but i'm still not sure if this adapter will work

Solution
Not really, in fact you made a mistake about what the adapter does, and didn't mention when it was required.

Passive works at switching DP to DVI (single link) or HDMI, but only if the other two sets of TMDS are not being used, it can also be used to drive a VGA monitor, but once again, as long as the other two RAMDACs are not being used.

Precision is important in this, because configuration matters.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I haven't tried eyefinity yet, but from everything I've read, heard, and talked to friend and colleagues about, I doubt that will work. Its on AMD's list of validated parts, but as far as I can guess (guess being the key word here) those aren't all going to work for a triple monitor setup. For the triple monitor setup, you really probably are going to need to get an active adapter. Who knows- you might get lucky, but its iffy at best.

Not really, in fact you made a mistake about what the adapter does, and didn't mention when it was required.

Passive works at switching DP to DVI (single link) or HDMI, but only if the other two sets of TMDS are not being used, it can also be used to drive a VGA monitor, but once again, as long as the other two RAMDACs are not being used.

Precision is important in this, because configuration matters.

Solution

jclown

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks
Well it looks like i have two options get a new 24in monitor w/ displayport about $600 or get a active displayport adapter about $100.
Decisions, decisions

Yep I agree, there will be changes in monitors, for now if you like the monitors you have, no point in buying a 4th, just use the adapter for now and then in a year or two when you want a really nice monitor you can spend $500 on that or else get that same one likely for $300 instead of $600.