Sign in with
Your question

Recovery without disk

Last response: in CPUs
June 5, 2010 3:13:25 PM

I have a Toshiba Satelite A215 series. unfortunately I do not have the recovery disk. So I searched the net and found that you can use the Hold #0and turn on the laptop. I tried this and I get a small message " HQ Recovery Mode" but then it loads windows normally. Am I missing something? All help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : recovery disk

a c 203 à CPUs
June 5, 2010 3:28:27 PM

Hello djdicey;
When you turn the power on keep tapping the 0 instead of keeping it held down.
See if that works.
m
l
June 5, 2010 3:31:01 PM

the machine is booting ok but it is still missing folders I was under the impression that this was a way to recover to factory default
m
l
Related resources
June 5, 2010 3:31:24 PM

That function is meant to automatically restore the operating system from a hidden recovery partition on the laptops hard drive.

Sounds like it worked. Is the machine booting ok?
m
l
June 5, 2010 3:40:40 PM

Yep, thats what its supposed to do. What folders is it missing? Keep in mind it will only have files and folder that were present at the time of purchase (factory default). Anything that was created since would be gone. (AFAIK)
m
l
June 5, 2010 3:46:09 PM

the atheros wireless program for some reason had a brainfart.. i deleted and downloaded the drivers from toshiba but still didnt work.. I dont understand why it wont redirect me to the factory settings when it comes up with the message "hq recovery mode"
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
June 5, 2010 3:50:54 PM

Did you have a choice of recovery options? Your laptop might have been saving changes and it's the changes that are being 'recovered' as opposed to getting a clean install.
m
l
June 5, 2010 3:51:33 PM

tried the on off switch lol.. no error except the no connection available line. thats why i figured i go back to factory spec. but now that seems to have gone a bunk lol
m
l
June 5, 2010 3:52:07 PM

no recovery options..
m
l
June 5, 2010 3:52:23 PM

Is it giving you some sort of error messages?
It doesn't have one of those little on/off switches for the WiFi on the front or side edge of the laptop?
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
June 5, 2010 3:59:31 PM

You should definitely be getting a Toshiba Recovery Wizard Screen
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
June 5, 2010 4:01:55 PM

m
l
June 5, 2010 4:03:11 PM

nope wish i was . i been searching the net for a downloadable recovery disk when i came upon the zero option and so far i havent gotten anywhere with both
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
June 5, 2010 4:03:38 PM

You have to really watch those so called 'recovery disks'. A lot of them are nothing more than pre-loaded virus, trojan and rootkit packages.
If you're still stuck.... work with Toshiba's options only, IMO.
m
l
June 5, 2010 4:14:04 PM

with f8 im getting:

Safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

enable boot logging
enable vga mode
last known good configuration
directory services restore mode
debugging mode