Closed Solved

Cou cooler fan plugged into sys_fan instead of cpu

Hello,
I have a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 and a Cooler master Hyper 212 plus cpu cooler. When i connect the hyper 212 plus fan into the CPU_fan on the motherboard, the fan doesn't work. I then connected the cooler fan into the sys_fan2 and it worked. Is this normal?
also,all four phase leds led up at the start and then all went out. I am guessing this is also normal?
sorry. first time builder here :\
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cooler plugged sys_fan
  1. Best answer
    It means that you have no power to the fan when connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard. Possibly a bad fan header. The CPU fan must be connected to the CPU fan header for automatic speed control per BIOS setup.

The situation that you describe is not normal. Check the header for bent/missing pins, and then contact Gigabyte tech support.
  2. possibly broken fan header/regulator.

before I have broken numerous sys_fan plugs, and they all stop working. The controller for these is seperate from cpu_fan.

I have broken them by either connecting too many fans, using external speed regulators with them etc.

It is not normal, and not particularly safe either since the fan speed will be regulated based on chipset temperature, and not CPU temp. Safest thing to do would be to set bios fan control to off, so that it spins at full speed.

do contact gigabyte for a replacement
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooling Fan CPUs Components