buzzforb

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I was about to purchase an NVidia GTS250 for my Windows7 64 bit system and by chance ran across a forum post saying that people are having major issues with the 64 bit version. is anybody here running NVidia on Win7 64 with no problems. What is your setup and driver release?

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Most of the Nvidia drivers are fine. Just don't get the very latest one that were pulled because they were causing cards to overheat. I would just use the drivers on the CD that come with the card until NVidia releases a new driver, and then update to that.
If you haven't bought the GTS250 yet though, I would suggest an ATI 5750 since its pretty similar in price and performance, while using less power and is DX11 etc.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Nvidia is keeping last month's drivers online because those work, in fact go to the beta driver section and download any driver you want from the list that has WHQL label, those go several months back. I'm running a 9400GT on Vista 32, not running into heat problems with newest drivers but hey when did my card have much power anyway.

buzzforb

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
The reason i am considering Nvidia over ATI is the fact that my computer is going to function as a HTPC for the most part and i want to take advantage of GPU accelerated playback. According to the article i will post. NVidia + CoreAVC 2 do a much better job of playback than ATI. Multiple reviews have shown that Nvidia seems to be further along with their development of CPU to GPU offloading. If you have some info that refutes this, I am wide open to suggestions. As a matter of fact i currently have 4670 installed in my system. Check out this article ans dee what you think. Also i asked specifically about 64 bit Windows 7. This seems to be the version where people are having trouble.

http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-using-compute-unified-device-architecture-cuda/

vs.

http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-using-dxva/

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Uh I don't have a link but both offlaod companies GPUs offlaod playback to GPU, the CPU to GPU you're talking about is CUDA, where CPU offloads massive calculations to the GPU for processing since the GPU is more powerful. This is not for video playback programs, for programs like protein decoding or folding@home.

buzzforb

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

Did you read the articles? :heink:

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Im Running An Nvidia Geforce 9600GSO 768MB (96 Stream Processors) 196.21 Nvidia Driver On Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

Only Problem I Had Was A Weak Powersupply (A 500 Watt Cheapo), Then I Upgraded To A 850 Watt Thermaltake And The Problem Went Away. The Problem Was A Lack Of Power Causing It To Jump To A Low Power Mode Under Stress Not Driver Or OS Related.

yeh, but the thermaltike 850W is like a 650W by a decent brand.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I would say Thermaltake IS a good brand. They've gotten a number of good reviews, so I'm not sure why you'd say that its only worth a 650W from a decent brand. Can you like me to an article or review that shows that it won't run the rated capacity?

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Again, I ask you to give me some evidence of their poor quality. I just gave you 2 reviews of 2 different Thermaltake PSU's where they are very much acceptable at their rated values. their prices have come down with good sales and stuff, but I still wouldn't call them cheap or truly "low cost". Also- if Thermaltake is a low quality brand, what do call good quality brands?

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Those are good, but I think in general Thermaltake is at least on a par with OCZ and (if you notice in the reviews I posted) those particular units at least are about on par with similar Corsair units. Not sure where you are getting your info from. a little evidence would be good. I have a thermaltake PSU, and am interested in seeing evidence that maybe I should have stuck with my OCZ or something, but you gotta give me something more than just what you type.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I was just curious. Anytime I hear something bad about something (especially something I'm using) I like to investigate a little to make sure that I didn't get ripped off or end up with some piece of crap in my machine.