Problems transferring to/from external hard disk usb 3.0

rookierat

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hello,
Im sorry im new here. I think i posted this without title just now. im still trying to delete it.
Im not well versed in all this technical/terms in IT so i'll just ask... I just got a new seagate xternal hard disk. its written usb 3.0. It has been giving problems since the first time im using it on my laptop (Vista Business 32 bit). Im trying to backup my other external drive. It is showing a ridiculous time left for transferring files to and from the external hard disk(it starts transfering immediately but time left kept increasing more than 24hours. Then after a few cancelling and retry without any success, I tried relay copying to laptop first then copy to the new harddisk also fail. I also tried copying only one file at a time. After a while the computer starts showing : 'Windows exlorer stopped working' and auto close. Now I only can explore the seagate external but once i click anything in it for copying it kept showing the same warning. or sending something into it, my computer will hang. only thing i know is restart button....
what is happening? what to do? help me

tomatthe

Distinguished
Without the drive connected that you are trying to backup, can you copy files from your laptop to the seagate drive normally? Based on your description it sounds like the old drive you have is likely bad, and causing all of the problems you described. If you are having issues with only the new drive hooked up and copying files from your laptop directly to it, it may be the laptop drive itself that is bad.

rookierat

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Thank you so much...Without the drive connected that im trying to backup, yes i can copy files to the seagate but only small files. if i try to copy bulk/big files (maybe more than few G's)after few minutes same problems-it'll start showing ridiculous time remaining and then hang.
Actually i think the old drive works perfectly.I didnt have any problem copying to/from it when the seagate is not connected. And can you please explain more about bad laptop drive, ... that sounds more likely to be causing the problems im having where only when the seagate is attached that this happen. i've been suspecting it might be something about my laptop but i dont have any idea what it might be n where to start. If it is, how can i check or maybe fix the bad laptop drive?