Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading for windows 7

Last response: in Systems
March 26, 2010 8:12:42 PM

My pc seems to be struggling with Win 7, memory fairly maxed out and fans going nuts...

Any suggestions - I'm assuming memory first though quite what though.

PSU Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.40GHz
Abit IP35 Pro (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit

Any thoughts?

More about : upgrading windows

a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 8:39:21 PM

Having only 2GB of slow RAM is not helping ... everything else looks purdy good.

... Turn off drive indexing and look for a "Win7 Performance Tweaks" document, online ... VideoGuys.com had one for XP-Pro.

= Al =
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 8:41:10 PM

The "FANS GOING NUTz" might be a clue, for techs more knowledgable than myself.

= Al =
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 9:33:46 PM

If you're running 64-bit, get more RAM. (and I'm betting you are)

I'm pretty sure that's the fastest DDR2 RAM there is.

That is a pretty good computer, unless something is wrong hardware wise, but I don't know if it was running XP fine as is or whatever.
March 26, 2010 9:46:08 PM

It was fine with XP, fine with everything really. Not sure if its a cooling thing but the memory needs upping anything, will see that if that's a problem.

Another 2 gig same spec? or can I upgrade it....?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 9:49:55 PM

I'd like to know what exactly it is you're experiencing (what your doing when whatever it happening happens), because, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on a much lesser system (s939 X2-3800+/2 GB RAM) and I'm not seeing any issues... unless you're talking about gaming performance...

-Wolf sends
March 26, 2010 10:08:49 PM

No gaming as yet... it's just general use, especially when playing media or streaming, free memory is pretty much down to 0 so I can only assume that the main problem...

Unless there is something other stuff running in the background?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 10:26:52 PM

Well, Our Sire, ... Please note that, while win7 can run on ATOM w/2GB, you surely will not win any footrace with such a setup. Win7 (especially 64) LOVES all the RAM you can show it. Win7 actually "does stuff" w/that RAM.

I am even fairly certain that it is an officially published "Recommended System" spec, for all win7, even if not the "Min Sys Spec".

= So, ... do that and, call us in the morning (because everything else is and was OK, both for XP and 7 ... your spec is good ... save the AMOUNT of your RAM.

= Cheerie-oh! =
March 26, 2010 10:29:19 PM

noted...

is 4 going to be enough..?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 10:29:31 PM

ADD-itionally ... I will betcha (wager) that there are ways (methods) for turning off some of the superfluous bells and whistles that can slow 7 down.

a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 10:30:30 PM

london_calling said:
noted...

is 4 going to be enough..?

Oh, yes! . . . 4GB is "Good-n-Plenty ! ".

= Al =
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 10:59:28 PM

Yeah, windows 7 likes to load things into ram that aren't running just so it can appear faster. You have to open task manager, go to the performance tab, then look at resource monitor. It will tell you how much is actually being used by what.

And yeah, just adding more of the same should do fine.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 11:55:40 PM

More of the same ... best investment.

Also what he said.

a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2010 11:58:16 PM

Pretty sure you might have some minor slots open ... You may also wish to consider adding USB3 &/or eSATA-III (or port combo card) at some point. Available now.

= Al =
a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2010 1:33:15 AM

Would still like to know what's happening on the system. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on 2GB of RAM and not having any issues:

This with a full virus scan and a movie streaming from my network at the same time. Still sitting at 1.18GB of RAM usage. Kicking off a YouTube stream still only brings me up to 1.22 GB RAM usage. Something is definitely not right with the OPs system.

-Wolf sends

a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2010 1:57:33 AM

And just for reference:

a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2010 2:34:05 AM

Well ... Can't argue with real life ... I'd give wolf a good listen and see if he can help you out. Could be you won't need any more RAM at all .. (sure wouldn't hurt) ...

... Maybe he can discover the root cause and that *MAY NOT * be all about RAM ... Netbooks do it ... you *should* be able to. (after all that).

= Al =
a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2010 2:45:35 AM

Netbooks aren't 64-bit.

But a problem is always possible.

I didn't have any problems with the 64-bit RC, except for gaming, which did suffer.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2010 2:51:07 AM

Well, if Wolfie has any more to say about what to try ... I'd have a listen. I really don't care *what* he's doing if it does not fix the OPs issue, tho.

= Al =
a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2010 12:26:04 PM

Even trying to duplicate London's system usage, I could only get my memory usage up to 1.22 GB. I installed VLC and copied a vob file from my network to my local system. Next I started a movie stream from Netflix to simulate streaming London's streaming from TVCatchup. I also tried a stream from HULU for comparison. Since the provided image did not show the task bar, I couldn't see what else might be running. The only other app I have running is Mozilla Thunderbird.

London - If you haven't run any type of anti-spyware/malware program recently, that's the first thing I'd do. Just make sure your system isn't doing anything it's not supposed to be doing. Programs I'd recommend are:

Housecall from TrendMicro
Ad-Aware from Lavasoft
Spybot: Search and Destroy from Safer Networking
Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes.org

If you haven't run any of these (all are free), I'd try at least two.

Next reboot your system. When it comes back up and before you start any programs, check your memory usage. On a fresh boot, my systems starts out at 1.08GB of RAM used. Included in my startup are:

DynDNS
ATI Catalyst Control Center
MagicJack
AVG Free

If your system reports clean (no spy/mal-ware, no virus/trojan) and immediately after reboot your system still reports well over 1GB of RAM in use, then I'd ask what programs you have running in your startup.

It may very well be that the answer to your issue *IS* buy more ram. As Alvin says, it won't hurt, but me being a "soon to be out of work techie", my first answer can't be "throw money at it".

So please run the scans, reboot your system and report back your memory usage after reboot and what programs are starting at boot time.

-Wolf sends

Edit:

On a side note, there are significant differences between London's system and mine. Alvin and Dmitry: If either of you have systems closer to the specs of London's (Windows 7 64 bit/Quad-Core/hefty graphics card) could you also reboot your systems (mine's offline at the moment) and report back memory usage and start up applications? Thanks!
March 27, 2010 2:50:26 PM

Cool

I've run both ad aware and spybot

Heres the task manger info after start up... something is running that shouldn't be...

a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2010 8:04:20 PM

Looking at your processes, most of them are not running on my system:

GoogleTalk
TeaTimer
iType
MozyBackup
Mindmanager Reminder
iTunes manager

All non-essential unless you actually use these programs. If you know what each of these are and actually use them, then by all means, get more ram. If you don't know what they are and never use them, uninstall them from control panel add/remove programs. Then see if your system is more responsive.

-Wolf sends
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2010 6:41:02 AM

I'm on my laptop at the moment, but it booted with 1.13 gigs being used.

It's a dual core C2D with a 9800M GTS graphics card.

AVG and x-mouse button control.

I really hate things that run in background and don't need to. So nothing ever does on my computers.
March 28, 2010 9:28:29 AM

Actually with everything disabled via msconfig wotnot I'm at 1.12Gb used...
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2010 2:12:42 PM

So if you're comfortable not having those programs starting at boot, I'd say you're good to go. Even with the stream, virus scan, and video playback running, it only added 140K memory usage.

On the other hand, you could add two more gig of RAM for about $65 and then it wouldn't matter. That's up to you, though.

-Wolf sends
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2010 5:22:39 PM

False_Dmitry_II said:
Netbooks aren't 64-bit.

But a problem is always possible.

I didn't have any problems with the 64-bit RC, except for gaming, which did suffer.

I'm pretty sure all ATOMs have 64 bit Support ... all the recent ones . . . N320+

= Al =
!