Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

8600GT vs 9500GT (RMA replacement)

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 10, 2010 7:56:50 PM

I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting what I should be from an RMA replacement. Please keep in mind that there's no "get this card instead here due to the RMA.

I had an XFX nVidia 8600GT 256mb DDR3 (DDR three) that went bad. I was allowed to RMA under my XFX lifetime warranty and they shipped back an XFX nVidia 9500GT 1GB DDR2 (DDR two, of all things).

I know that in the base 8600GT vs 9500GT the 9500 would "win" in theory, but what throws a big wrench in this is the DRR3 vs DDR2 RAM, not to mention the huge different between 256mb vs 1gb.

Am I getting the same or better performance I was promised in this replacement or does the DD2 hose the 9500GT?

Thanks for any insight. I tried finding a "fair" comparison, but everyone (understandable) compares DDR3 vs DDR3.

More about : 8600gt 9500gt rma replacement

March 10, 2010 8:02:11 PM

Um, the 9500 is roughly on par with 8600 I think, they probably mailed back 9500 because they don't make 8600 anymore.
m
l
March 10, 2010 8:10:12 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that, but I'm confused as to why they sent me a DDR2 vs a DDR3 9500GT.

If they had sent me a DDR3 9500GT I wouldn't even have posted. I just want to make sure they're honoring they're end of the warranty and their promise to replace the card with the "same or better".

I'm just very curious to find out if the 1GB DDR2 is basically making this 9500GT performe "lots" worse than the 256mb DDR3 8600GT
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2010 8:15:07 PM

teknomedic said:
I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting what I should be from an RMA replacement. Please keep in mind that there's no "get this card instead here due to the RMA.

I had an XFX nVidia 8600GT 256mb DDR3 (DDR three) that went bad. I was allowed to RMA under my XFX lifetime warranty and they shipped back an XFX nVidia 9500GT 1GB DDR2 (DDR two, of all things).

I know that in the base 8600GT vs 9500GT the 9500 would "win" in theory, but what throws a big wrench in this is the DRR3 vs DDR2 RAM, not to mention the huge different between 256mb vs 1gb.

Am I getting the same or better performance I was promised in this replacement or does the DD2 hose the 9500GT?

Thanks for any insight. I tried finding a "fair" comparison, but everyone (understandable) compares DDR3 vs DDR3.

That is correct, if you are getting the DDR2 version you are actually downgrading. My suggestion would be to contact the manufaturer and speak with a supervisor.
m
l
March 10, 2010 8:16:41 PM

Let me see if I can explain this a little better.

I know both the 8600 and 9500 are both slow cards. I know that DDR3 is faster than DDR2. I know that 256mb is worse than 1GB.

Does the fact that the 9500 has 1GB of RAM offset that it's using slower RAM and give it the same (or better) performance of the 8600 using less, but faster RAM??
m
l
March 10, 2010 8:24:36 PM

OvrClkr said:
That is correct, if you are getting the DDR2 version you are actually downgrading. My suggestion would be to contact the manufaturer and speak with a supervisor.

Thanks for your reply, that's what I'm thinking too, but wanted to get some opinions due to the big difference in the size of the RAM (256 vs 1GB).

I got the replacement today (9500GT 1GB DDR2) which is why I'm trying to figure out if I need to raise a "stink" about this with XFX as I'm sure it will cost me to ship back the 9500GT. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if the performance difference is worth my time and money "fighting" with XFX at this point.

The card will be used in the same (my younger brother's) limited gaming system as the 8600 was so I'm trying to ensure that his games (eg, GTA IV, Silent Hunter 4, etc) will still run the same for him.
m
l
March 10, 2010 8:29:55 PM

I would rate them about the same. I have both but my 9500 is ddr3 and is much faster than the 8600 which is also ddr3. Having ddr2 instead of ddr3 cost around a 20-30% drop in performance. Net result, they are the same. I wouldn't sweat it.
m
l
March 10, 2010 8:40:18 PM

rsmith13 said:
I would rate them about the same. I have both but my 9500 is ddr3 and is much faster than the 8600 which is also ddr3. Having ddr2 instead of ddr3 cost around a 20-30% drop in performance. Net result, they are the same. I wouldn't sweat it.

Thank for your reply as well, I must have found a good time to post, lol.

Do you feel that your 9500 with DDR3 is around that 20-30% faster than the 8600 then? I'm fine with keeping this card if we're talking 1-5 "performance points" (if you will), but just want to make sure we're not talking like 10-50 points (if anyone can follow me, lol).

It's been so long since I've compared DDR2 vs DDR3 scores as well as 8000 vs 9000 series cards I feel like a newb again.

I'm not trying to be a "jerk" about this either as I don't expect to keep getting "better and better" cards under my lifetime warranty as time goes on (as the 8600 was a RMA replacement too, lol), but I don't want to be "ripped off" (used lightly since this is a lifetime warranty and my 3rd card under that awesome warranty) and get worse and worse cards either.

Thank again for all the replies. :) 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2010 8:50:13 PM

i recall reading an article when they tested the 9500GT DDR3 vs the 9500GT DDR2 and the performance increase was 5-10% depending on the games. Considering the 8600GT was not a huge leap forward from the 7600GT, its an equal swap.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2010 8:52:37 PM

I think you're alright- from what I could find from a quick search, looks like they are pretty similar, and everywhere I look has someone claiming one of them is just faster than the other, but it varies which is "faster". they're gonna be close enough that you will not notice a difference most likely.
m
l
March 10, 2010 8:55:48 PM

8600GT>9500GT regardless of the model =)

And yes just like most here pointed out, its a give or take but still you are downgrading.. The RMA dept should have at least sent you a 9600GT to compensate ;) 
m
l
March 10, 2010 8:58:20 PM

sweet...lol
m
l
March 10, 2010 9:00:53 PM

ct1615 said:
i recall reading an article when they tested the 9500GT DDR3 vs the 9500GT DDR2 and the performance increase was 5-10% depending on the games. Considering the 8600GT was not a huge leap forward from the 7600GT, its an equal swap.

I would suspect that the 9500 is about that 5-10% faster than an 8600 as well so it is souding like a very fair and comparable swap.

OvrClkr said:
This should give you the answer you are looking for, here is the GPU Hierarchy List :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

I did see that chart before posting and the it does show thery're about the same, but I was pretty disappointed that it didn't include any benchmarks.

flyinfinni said:
I think you're alright- from what I could find from a quick search, looks like they are pretty similar, and everywhere I look has someone claiming one of them is just faster than the other, but it varies which is "faster". they're gonna be close enough that you will not notice a difference most likely.

That's certainly sounding like the consensus and I can be good with that.

Unless someone has some opinion that's goes wildly against what pretty much everyone here is thinking (and about what I was thinking too) then I'll let this go, install the card and hope it works, lol.

I just hope they don't send me a DDR1 card if/when this 9500 goes bad, lol.

Thanks again to all of you. :) 
m
l
March 10, 2010 9:08:32 PM

OvrClkr said:

And yes just like most here pointed out, its a give or take but still you are downgrading.. The RMA dept should have at least sent you a 9600GT to compensate ;) 

Personlly I want to disagree, but I don't have any benchies to prove or disprove myself. From what I've read the 9500 was just tade faster (newer process, some minor enhancements from 8000 to 9000 series), but again all that info included the DDR3 versions and no mention of DDR2 models.

Although I would have loved getting a 9600GT, I fully understand why I wasn't given one as that would have been a pretty big improvement for a continued RMA (If I remember I started out with a 7600 (GS maybe?) that moved to the 8600GT and now the 9500GT.

I don't think it's too bad of a deal for one original purchase a few years back now (lifetime warranty rocks, lol)

edits here and above (more thoughts and wireless keyboard at 20ft from PC/TV fail, lol)
m
l
a c 223 Î Nvidia
March 10, 2010 9:29:01 PM

teknomedic said:
Personlly I want to disagree, but I don't have any benchies to prove or disprove myself. From what I've read the 9500 was just tade faster (newer process, some minor enhancements from 8000 to 9000 series), but again all that info included the DDR3 versions and no mention of DDR2 models.

Although I would have loved getting a 9600GT, I fully understand why I wasn't given one as that would have been a pretty big improvement for a continued RMA (If I remember I started out with a 7600 (GS maybe?) that moved to the 8600GT and now the 9500GT.

I don't think it's too bad of a deal for one original purchase a few years back now (lifetime warranty rocks, lol)

edits here and above (more thoughts and wireless keyboard at 20ft from PC/TV fail, lol)

There was not a huge difference between the GDDR2 and GDDR3 versions, IMHO you were not shafted.

http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Graphics-cards/ATi-Radeon-HD-4670-vs-nVIDIA-GeForce-9500GT.html
Not the exact same card as yours but it does give an idea of the performance gap that doesn't exist.
m
l
March 10, 2010 9:46:33 PM

thanks as always to the great replies.

I'll consider my question answered and thanks for all the help from eveyone here.

I have contacted XFX and simply asked if it was possible to trade out the DDR2 for a DDR3 version (even 512mb). I certainly won't force the issue, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask and see if they'd allow it.

I'm not too worried one way or the other at this point.

Again, I appreciate all the replies. Thanks. :) 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2010 9:57:08 PM

OvrClkr said:

Not true. The 9500GT, DDR3 at least is more on par with the 8600GTS.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 10, 2010 9:58:07 PM

I think you did alright on this deal as well. IN PART because your old card the 8600(i have the same brand model, running) is limited in gaming with the 256mb buffer. However your fps avg/min come about in any given game, I'm thinking the game is going to run smoother without having to swap in and out of memory all the time. At least you registered, I'm almost positive I never did with mine. *keeps fingers perpetually crossed*

what does gpu z show for the fill rates, thats the performance of the memory ?
m
l
March 10, 2010 10:03:17 PM

A 9500GT With DDR2 Should Have The Same Performance As A 8600GT With DDR3, I Doubt It Would Make A Differance Considering That Card Is Too Slow For AA Anyway, My Friend Has A 9500GT 1GB DDR2 And It Plays Crysis @ 1280x1024, At Low Settings, 0AA And 0AF, With Pysics On Low Quite Well With His Single Core 45nm Athlon II Based Sempron
m
l
a c 223 Î Nvidia
March 10, 2010 10:16:09 PM

notty22 said:
I think you did alright on this deal as well. IN PART because your old card the 8600(i have the same brand model, running) is limited in gaming with the 256mb buffer. However your fps avg/min come about in any given game, I'm thinking the game is going to run smoother without having to swap in and out of memory all the time. At least you registered, I'm almost positive I never did with mine. *keeps fingers perpetually crossed*
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/10/03/10/47g.png

If it's similar to mine I'd say they were on a par with each other.
m
l
March 10, 2010 10:27:00 PM

Mousemonkey said:
There was not a huge difference between the GDDR2 and GDDR3 versions, IMHO you were not shafted.

http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Graphics-cards/ATi-Radeon-HD-4670-vs-nVIDIA-GeForce-9500GT.html
Not the exact same card as yours but it does give an idea of the performance gap that doesn't exist.

notty22 said:
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/10/03/10/47g.png

hella-d said:
A 9500GT With DDR2 Should Have The Same Performance As A 8600GT With DDR3, I Doubt It Would Make A Differance Considering That Card Is Too Slow For AA Anyway, My Friend Has A 9500GT 1GB DDR2 And It Plays Crysis @ 1280x1024, At Low Settings, 0AA And 0AF, With Pysics On Low Quite Well With His Single Core 45nm Athlon II Based Sempron

Good posts and thank you for the extra help. These replies really put my mind at ease about a possible downward spiral of getting worse and worse cards as the RMA process continues. This certainly isn't the "best" card I'm running right now, but as I build new systems I tend to move my older systems to other sub sections of use. My younger brother just happens to use this particular build and I didn't want him to fee like his computer is getting slower with each "RMA".

Mostly I wanted to "check up" on XFX and ensure they weren't trying to pull something by slowly giving worse and worse cards (basically causing an eventual forced purchase upgrade to make up for poor performance). If they're honest they'll get that money later anyway, but it does help me "want" to contineu to be an XFX customer.

I know some have had bad customer service from XFX (can be said about any company), but a lot of that seemed to come from how XFX does their RMA (no phone support without first starting an online support ticket).

Thanks again, I always seem to get great replies here at Tom's... and mouse monkey always seems to find my posts, lol. ;) 
m
l
a c 223 Î Nvidia
March 10, 2010 10:32:38 PM

It's a gift. :lol: 
m
l
March 10, 2010 10:36:19 PM

Mousemonkey said:
If it's similar to mine I'd say they were on a par with each other.
]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/527/95002.jpg

Wow mousemonkey... I don't think I could have asked for a better picture. We somehow managed to find a running 8600GT with 256mb DDR3 and a running 9500GT 1GB DDR2 and both provided a picture of the same info.

Bravo. Thanks a ton. :) 
m
l
March 10, 2010 10:38:53 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It's a gift. :lol: 

I'd say so since I'm only on here randomly maybe once or twice a year asking something, but I can still remember the first time I saw your "mokey glasses" pic and that Tron "light cycle" sig. ;) 
m
l
a c 223 Î Nvidia
March 10, 2010 11:04:58 PM

:lol:  I'm not stalking you, honest!

That's what I'm going to tell the judge anyway. [:mousemonkey]
m
l
March 10, 2010 11:53:20 PM

lmao
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 11, 2010 2:30:35 PM

lol. thats all I Have to say. Oh, and did XFX respond to you about the GDDR3 version question?
m
l
May 14, 2010 3:07:46 PM

I think I got a worse deal than you. I had a 7600GT XXX 256mb DDR3 (the overclock version) which was quite fast. They sent me a 9500GT also w/512mb DDR2. Sure this card is directx 10 and has a few features that my old card did not but the new card seems to perform worse than the card I had. I get noticable screen tearing even on my windows 7 desktop.
I am running a much faster system than before also.

old card was on a P4 3.2ghz w/1GB ram.
replacement is on core i5 750 w/4GB ram

I am wondering if I got a bum card or perhaps there are some settings on my MSI motherboard that are holding it back.
*heres something funny*
on the box, it says; "over 3x performance increase over compatible 8 series (8500gt)"
I seem to be barely getting 1x performance over a 7 series card.......WTF!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 14, 2010 3:17:42 PM

Screen tearing is usually caused by your frame rate being higher than your refresh rate and has nothing to do with poor performance. Try turning on vsync as it usually fixes the problem.
If you have a new system you may just want to go ahead and get a current card. Even something around $100 like an HD4850 will be well over twice as powerful as a 9500GT/7600GT.
m
l
Anonymous
August 4, 2010 10:19:40 PM

Did you return the card? did XFX come good for the warranty claims of equivalent or better card? I just returned my 8600GT XXX GDDR3 and got back a 9500GT 1GB DDR2. I know the performance "should" be about the same. But the 9500 is not sli or dual dvi :(  so i was curious on whether it is worth a fight and the cost.
m
l
August 17, 2010 2:54:39 AM

I never returned the card we spoke of here, but for you I'd at least give them a call and explain that you require the SLI and Dual DVI and see what they can do for you.

I once had to do this with them on some older cards. I was running SLI when one failed (7900GS 256mb) if I remember correctly)... I did an RMA and explained that it needed it to be another 7900GS card so that I could continue to use SLI. They failed to head that warning and sent me a 7950GT 512mb. After explaining what had happened, they RMA'd my working older card and sent me another 7950GT for SLI.

Don't quote me on the original cards though... all I can remember for sure is that I eneded up with two 7950GT 512mb cards for their mix up.
m
l