Power supply fans not working

Hayorti

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I turned on my computer a couple of days ago and noticed that there was an odd noise coming from the power supply. I can't pinpoint the noise exactly, but it's like a grinding/sizzling noise...

I know for a fact that it's coming from the power supply. It's an Ultra Xfinity 600W PSU. I don't know if it's first gen or 2nd, but I bought it in late 2007-early 2008. I looked everywhere for the receipt and remembered I threw it out a couple of months ago, and I hadn't registered it when I bought it, so that screwed me over. Basically, RMA is out of the question.

Knowing that, I opened it up, looked around, and saw that some of the resin/foam they use inbetween components was burnt in certain places, but other than that there was no visual damage to any of the components. Most of the burns were around resistors if that has any significance...

Anyway, I looked into why the fans weren't working and had read somewhere that a yellow cable running from the main board to the fan controller was what supplied the current, so I checked it out and saw that there was no power running to the controller, so no power to the fans. There's nothing wrong with the fans themselves, I connected them to my motherboard and they were running fine. So now, I don't know if there's a problem with that yellow cable alone, or if it's a combination of the yellow cable and the THR (Temperature & relative humidity) detector.

There is no visible capacitor damage (swelling or breakage), n visible damage to the ceramic fuse, no blackened resistors, or anything else of the sort. The power supply is getting ridiculously hot, so now I've disassembled the entire thing and let it as loose as possible, making sure that nothing was touching that wasn't supposed to be. I don't have the money to buy a new power supply, so I'm hoping that I might be able to somehow repair it, if not, I'll have to borrow one from a friend.

Hopefully someone here can help me out, because after 2 days of research, I've got nothing else to try :(

Thanks in advance,

- Alek

shovenose

Distinguished
what you can try is just to run the fan wires through the hole where the other wires come up and just run them off ur motherboard or the psu itself.
dont run the psu fanless. BAD BAD BAD!

Hayorti

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

That, my friend, is a very good idea...if I plug them in to my motherboard I can control their fan speeds too, so that they don't run at 100% all the time... I'll have to look into that but it sounds like a great idea. The only speed bump I can think of though is that one of the fans doesn't have a connector, it's just the 2 wires that have been soldered to the controller chip. Any ideas on that?

- Alek