• No

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 3.-I did not have the money to pay for it, but wanted it

• -I had the money, but wanted to save it

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • -I wanted a DRM free copy

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • -It is old and/or rare. I was unable to find it anywhere else (eg an old rare movie)

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • -I am trying to make a statement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • -I wanted to "try before I buy"

• Total voters
I know this isn't part of CPUs and components but I am not quite sure where to put it. So an admin, please move it as you see fit; the rest of you, don't spam this thread with "you're in the wrong forum" etc. Thanks.

As some of you may know, Canada is attempting to alter it's current copyright laws to make them similar to the USA. This is the third such bill put forward by the government; the previous two (C-60 and C-61) failed. Canada has not made alterations to its copyright law since 1997.

In light Of this, I was curious as to public opinion on the follow questions. I have separated the polls into the following questions:

1. Have you ever downloaded something that is under copyright protection or had someone do it for you with full knowledge that it was under copyright protection?
-Yes
-No

2. If so, what was your source?
-Direct download
-Usenet
-Torrents
-Other (please specify)

3. Why did you download the material?
-I did not have the money to pay for it, but wanted it
-I had the money, but wanted to save it
-I wanted a DRM free copy
-It is old and/or rare. I was unable to find it anywhere else (eg an old rare movie)
-I am trying to make a statement
-I wanted to "try before I buy"

4. What is your opinion on downloading copyrighted materials?
-I should be able to no matter what. No one's business what I do with my internet even though I am breaking copyright laws
-I should be able to download only things that are not copyrighted
-The government should control internet content.
-Corporations should control internet content.
-It is the corporation's fault; they should make available the files I want for a low price (for example, I should be able to download 1080p movies from paramount for a certain price that is reasonable)

5. If you download dvd quality movie files, how much would DVDs have to be reduced to get you to buy them instead?
-$10/dvd
-$5/dvd
-$2/dvd
-<$2/dvd

Anyway, this is my curiousity poll.

Well, son of a bitch. I can only have 10 possible answers. Answer in posts instead, except for the first and third question which I have in the poll.

1. Have you ever downloaded something that is under copyright protection or had someone do it for you with full knowledge that it was under copyright protection?

Yes.

-Direct download
-Torrents

A) DRM free copy. I will not buy anything if I don't have control of when and where it is used.

B) I have run into a couple of titles I was not able to find from a retailer due to age.

I don't think people should steal software and movies. but I am not certain how much Gov control of the internet is appropriate. I am generally for a free internet.

5. If you download dvd quality movie files, how much would DVDs have to be reduced to get you to buy them instead?

I don't usually download movies. I once downloaded a pre-release copy. Which I purchased when it was released.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Yes I download Practically Everything. (Games, software, TV series...) (Torrents)

For videogames, I try them, if I really love it I buy it tho that's usually regarding multiplayer games...

COH, BC2, Starcraft...

As for Software, Personal use I keep cheep tho I usually have multiple PC's some on Linux. Tho I always sell with license.

How do I feel about it...

3 letters... "Meh"

Alexmoel

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
-Yes

-Torrents

Either not having money or not wishing to pay.

I have mixed feelings on this one. I would like everything to be free and have the ability to download freely, yet I understand why copyright laws are in place. I don't think pirating will ever go away, yet that doesn't make it alright. I suppose I feel sorta meh.

$10-15 or so I suppose.

TRENDING THREADS