Best Gfx card fot T3

Last response: in Video Games
October 15, 2004 9:36:22 PM

Is there a general opinion or set of ratings somewhere that suggest which
Gfx card Thief3 works best with?

All I know is, my card is a non-starter...

JJ (UK)

More about : gfx card fot

October 16, 2004 8:07:26 AM

"JJ-UK" <Bwa.Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha@so.funny.com> wrote in message
> Is there a general opinion or set of ratings somewhere that suggest which
> Gfx card Thief3 works best with?
>
> All I know is, my card is a non-starter...

I ran it on an XP3200+ with 1 gig of RAM and a 128Mb 8500. It was a slide
show at 800x600 with low settings. Went to a 9800 Pro 128Mb and it is
flawless at 1280x1024 with everything maxed.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 12:46:07 AM

On the 15 Oct 2004, "JJ-UK" <Bwa.Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha@so.funny.com> wrote:

> Is there a general opinion or set of ratings somewhere that suggest which
> Gfx card Thief3 works best with?

I'm not sure about the best, but if you shop around you can get a
Radeon 9800 Pro for a really nice price. A while back, the smart money
was on buying the previous top-line card, and it looks like that advice
still holds.

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

NOSPAM@jades.org /is/ a real email address!
October 22, 2004 12:20:19 AM

"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

> "JJ-UK" <Bwa.Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha@so.funny.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a general opinion or set of ratings somewhere that suggest
which
> > Gfx card Thief3 works best with?
> >
> > All I know is, my card is a non-starter...
>
> I ran it on an XP3200+ with 1 gig of RAM and a 128Mb 8500. It was a slide
> show at 800x600 with low settings. Went to a 9800 Pro 128Mb and it is
> flawless at 1280x1024 with everything maxed.

Thank you. I've seen some pretty damning 'Reader Reviews' of this card
though (see the designtechnica website). Have you not had any trouble with
it?

Mind you, it's all a bit moot at the moment since one of my PC components
keep blowing up my PSUs...

JJ (UK)
October 24, 2004 7:49:31 AM

> Thank you. I've seen some pretty damning 'Reader Reviews' of this card
> though (see the designtechnica website). Have you not had any trouble with
> it?
>
> Mind you, it's all a bit moot at the moment since one of my PC components
> keep blowing up my PSUs...

I've never read or heard of any complaints about the 9800 Pro's performance
in Thief3. There are some driver issues with older versions of the Catalysts
causing shadow flickering, but these have been resolved in the last 2 driver
releases. The 9800 Pro is the best bang for the buck out there ATI wise.
It's an excellent card for Thief3. Friend has a 9600XT and Thief 3 is just
fine at 1024x768 with it. My 9800 Pro also runs Doom3 at 1024x768 on high
settings with 2X FSAA on my box with no lags anywhere.
!