Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IBM ThinkPad problems

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 4:01:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi,

I just got an IBM T41, type 2373. Out of the box, it seemed to work all
right.

However, when I connected to the docking station, the problems started.

- First, I haven't been able to get the external mouse to work. I have
tested it on another box, where it works just great.

- Then, after a couple of reboots, the keyboards went dead as far as Windows
(2000 Pro) is concerned; I can type the disk encryption (Utimaco SafeGuard)
password on either the built-in keyboard or on the external one, and Windows
starts up, but when I get to the "Welcome to Windows" screen, and press
Ctrl-Alt-Del, nothing happens using either keyboard. The problem continues
even if i undock and reboot the laptop.

- Since I have a 21" CRT display, I would also like to know how I can set a
reasonable display resolution on the laptop. On the Windows display control
panel for the T41, the best resolution available was 1024*768, 60 Hz. Where
do I go to increase it? Does the T41 have a hot key for switching between
high (external display) and low (built-in screen) resolution?

- Similarly, how do I go about setting different properties for the built-in
pointing devices and the external mouse (assuming I ever get the external
device to work)?

Thor

--
http://www.anta.net/

More about : ibm thinkpad problems

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 4:01:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Thor Kottelin" <thor@anta.net> wrote in message
news:413D78EA.D34E60AE@anta.net...
> Hi,
>
> I just got an IBM T41, type 2373. Out of the box, it seemed to work
> all
> right.
>
> However, when I connected to the docking station, the problems
> started.
>
> - First, I haven't been able to get the external mouse to work. I have
> tested it on another box, where it works just great.
>
> - Then, after a couple of reboots, the keyboards went dead as far as
> Windows
> (2000 Pro) is concerned; I can type the disk encryption (Utimaco
> SafeGuard)
> password on either the built-in keyboard or on the external one, and
> Windows
> starts up, but when I get to the "Welcome to Windows" screen, and
> press
> Ctrl-Alt-Del, nothing happens using either keyboard. The problem
> continues
> even if i undock and reboot the laptop.
>
> - Since I have a 21" CRT display, I would also like to know how I can
> set a
> reasonable display resolution on the laptop. On the Windows display
> control
> panel for the T41, the best resolution available was 1024*768, 60 Hz.
> Where
> do I go to increase it? Does the T41 have a hot key for switching
> between
> high (external display) and low (built-in screen) resolution?
>
> - Similarly, how do I go about setting different properties for the
> built-in
> pointing devices and the external mouse (assuming I ever get the
> external
> device to work)?
>
> Thor
>
> --
> http://www.anta.net/

First check IBM support for driver and BIOS updates that address these
problems. Second decide if you can live with out of the box failures
like these or if you should return the unit as defective. In today's
computer market, out of box failures of even simple devices like the
mouse and dock are not tolerable, IMO, unless there are readily
available, simple, and warranted fixes from the vendor. Call support
and have them guide you through the process; for warranty purposes; do
not apply the fixes yourself even if you are capable.

Normally, the maximum screen resolution and mode (analog/digital) that
can be set for an external monitor is the maximum resolution/mode that
is supported by the on-board video adapter. There is no other option.

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 7:25:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thor Kottelin <thor@anta.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got an IBM T41, type 2373. Out of the box, it seemed to work
> all right.
>
> However, when I connected to the docking station, the problems
> started.

Click on My Computer> Properties> Hardware> Hardware Profiles and setup
docked and undocked profiles.

> - Since I have a 21" CRT display, I would also like to know how I can
> set a reasonable display resolution on the laptop. On the Windows
> display control panel for the T41, the best resolution available was
> 1024*768, 60 Hz. Where do I go to increase it? Does the T41 have a
> hot key for switching between high (external display) and low
> (built-in screen) resolution?

Set the 21" display as the primary in settings.

> - Similarly, how do I go about setting different properties for the
> built-in pointing devices and the external mouse (assuming I ever get
> the external device to work)?

Thinkpad configuration utility:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

--
Regards,

James

Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 7:25:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
news:jpk%c.4337$BQ4.3756@trnddc06...
> Thor Kottelin <thor@anta.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just got an IBM T41, type 2373. Out of the box, it seemed to work
>> all right.
>>
>> However, when I connected to the docking station, the problems
>> started.
>
> Click on My Computer> Properties> Hardware> Hardware Profiles and setup
> docked and undocked profiles.
>
>> - Since I have a 21" CRT display, I would also like to know how I can
>> set a reasonable display resolution on the laptop. On the Windows
>> display control panel for the T41, the best resolution available was
>> 1024*768, 60 Hz. Where do I go to increase it? Does the T41 have a
>> hot key for switching between high (external display) and low
>> (built-in screen) resolution?
>
> Set the 21" display as the primary in settings.
>
>> - Similarly, how do I go about setting different properties for the
>> built-in pointing devices and the external mouse (assuming I ever get
>> the external device to work)?
>
> Thinkpad configuration utility:
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> James
>
> Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com
>
>
>

James,

I thought I had read somewhere that you could not use an external pointing
device on any thinkpad which had both the nav pad and the track point
(without disabling one of them)? I thought I had read that 2 concurrent
pointing devices was the max; is this right, and so, is this his problem?

Chip
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2004 12:43:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi chip,

Chip Orange <acorange@comcast.net> wrote:

> I thought I had read somewhere that you could not use an external
> pointing device on any thinkpad which had both the nav pad and the
> track point (without disabling one of them)? I thought I had read
> that 2 concurrent pointing devices was the max; is this right, and
> so, is this his problem?

He just needs to use the Configuaration Utility and set the internal
pointing devices to "Off" or "Automatic" when an external pointing device is
plugged in.

--
Regards,

James

Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2004 2:22:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Quaoar wrote:

> First check IBM support for driver and BIOS updates that address these
> problems. Second decide if you can live with out of the box failures
> like these or if you should return the unit as defective. In today's
> computer market, out of box failures of even simple devices like the
> mouse and dock are not tolerable, IMO, unless there are readily
> available, simple, and warranted fixes from the vendor. Call support
> and have them guide you through the process; for warranty purposes; do
> not apply the fixes yourself even if you are capable.

Thanks for your reply. After spending half of last night fiddling with the
wretched thing, I took it back to be serviced.

> Normally, the maximum screen resolution and mode (analog/digital) that
> can be set for an external monitor is the maximum resolution/mode that
> is supported by the on-board video adapter. There is no other option.

I agree. It just seems silly that I would be assigned a 21" CRT display to
flicker (60 Hz) at 1024*768, so I thought the GUI to the better resolutions
might just require some kind of toggling to appear.

Laptops hate me, but I hate them as well, and I have killed many. I had
managed to avoid using them for the last six years, but nothing lasts
forever, does it...

Thor

--
http://www.anta.net/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2004 2:22:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Thor Kottelin" <thor@anta.net> wrote in message
news:413E0A67.721C54FC@anta.net...
>
>
> Quaoar wrote:
>
>> First check IBM support for driver and BIOS updates that address
>> these
>> problems. Second decide if you can live with out of the box failures
>> like these or if you should return the unit as defective. In today's
>> computer market, out of box failures of even simple devices like the
>> mouse and dock are not tolerable, IMO, unless there are readily
>> available, simple, and warranted fixes from the vendor. Call support
>> and have them guide you through the process; for warranty purposes;
>> do
>> not apply the fixes yourself even if you are capable.
>
> Thanks for your reply. After spending half of last night fiddling with
> the
> wretched thing, I took it back to be serviced.
>
>> Normally, the maximum screen resolution and mode (analog/digital)
>> that
>> can be set for an external monitor is the maximum resolution/mode
>> that
>> is supported by the on-board video adapter. There is no other
>> option.
>
> I agree. It just seems silly that I would be assigned a 21" CRT
> display to
> flicker (60 Hz) at 1024*768, so I thought the GUI to the better
> resolutions
> might just require some kind of toggling to appear.
>
> Laptops hate me, but I hate them as well, and I have killed many. I
> had
> managed to avoid using them for the last six years, but nothing lasts
> forever, does it...
>
> Thor
>
> --
> http://www.anta.net/

My 30 year old son also destroys laptops - for no apparent reason. You
and he should be product testers!

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2004 4:48:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

JHEM wrote:

> Chip Orange <acorange@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I thought I had read somewhere that you could not use an external
> > pointing device on any thinkpad which had both the nav pad and the
> > track point (without disabling one of them)? I thought I had read
> > that 2 concurrent pointing devices was the max; is this right, and
> > so, is this his problem?
>
> He just needs to use the Configuaration Utility and set the internal
> pointing devices to "Off" or "Automatic" when an external pointing device is
> plugged in.

Thanks for all the good advice. I just got the T41 back from the repair
shop, and now it's working properly. They had reinstalled Windows. Oh well.

Regarding the mouse problem, "Automatic" didn't help, but swapping the PS/2
mouse for an USB mouse did the trick. *shrug*

Thor

--
http://www.anta.net/
!