Proof 2x GTX285 better than 2x 5870 In Crysis(3x in Crysis Warhead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Note: I am well aware that the title of this thread is wrong it is supposed to read 3xGTX285, i have tried many times to edit the title, but it say i am not allowed, Mods, little help?

To find out what inspired this thread please visit this one:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/283394-15-gtx275-trisli-5870-crossfire-building-system

I just wanted Crysis Warhead at 60 FPS, but you chose to insult me and close my thread :(

Someone suggested that 2x 5870's would beat 3x 5870's in Crysis with AA on as 2x5870's had beaten 2xGTX870 in AA.

Well here is benchmarks for 3x285's on a processor clocked 400 Mhz weaker with the same amount of RAM and the same motherboard, but still without full 16x16x16 bandwidth:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/eclipse-plus-n200,2332-5.html

Compare to:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5970,2474-8.html

65 compared to 53

So i reached my goal of 60 FPS even with AA for less money than 2 x 5870's would cost(450 vs 650-700).

Another thing, scaling for the 285 GTX is even better in Crysis Warhead:

http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articles/HD%205870%20TriFire/P18.html

One more thing at the end of this very long review, overall against all games the GTX285 was on part with a 2x5870:

http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articles/HD%205870%20TriFire/P18.html

So tell me, if it plays the game i want dramatically better and it also plays all other games taken as a whole on par.

How am i stupid? Never mind all the other well reasoned answers i gave for other contentions.

DX11 Bleh

Eyefinity Blah

Maybe you don't agree with my preference for Crysis Warhead(as a guy just coming into the PC gaming world), or value over the latest thing out, or Nvidia over ATI, but my decision is impeccably well reasoned and I've stressed every effort to prove that in tangible terms, you've done nothing but spout at me.

I only really care about getting through to Q4 to play Crysis 2, but if i want any games in the mean time, this thing will run them.

AMW1011 you posted this :

Also, let me be perfectly blunt here. If you buy 3 GTX 275s over 2 5870s because of the performance in the 3 year old game, Crysis, your being incredibly stupid. The game is old, the multiplayer average at best, and the graphics are soon to be surpassed. Not only that but look here:

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_5870_CrossFire/images/crysis_1920_1200.gif

As you can see, at 1920x1200, dual 5870s max out Crysis very well, meaning you will get no tangible improvements with 3 GTX 275s.

275's overclocked= better than 285's well documented.

3x285's beats 2x 5870's in Crysis by a large margin about 20%.

In Crysis warhead this margin is even greater margin about 40%.

It also beats TriXfired by about 30%.

Overall a TriSLIed GTX285 remained on part with Xfired 5870's.

Overall a TriXfired 5870 beats TriSLI GTX285's by about 25 percent.

3x5870's would cost over £1000, more than twice 3x285's. A 4th extra performance for over twice the cost? Maybe worth it to some, but like i said i bet if i kept the same system I'd pull 60 fps in any game i wanted for the next couple years, i'm not even hard for money, it just doesn't make sense to piss it away, espcially when the one game i want to plays better on these cards than even 3x5870's.

I rest my case.

G

Rofl " chose to insult me and close my thread ". Ok back, for Crysis yes 3x285 is better than 2x5870. Its your opinion in this case since the 5870 is more advanced and will probably be a lot faster in future games, especially if newer games are DX11 which Crysis 2 will be. Another thing is less micro-stutter , more gpus = more micro-stutter(min fps) . To tell you the truth, 45-50fps feel more than 60+fps in Crysis even though fraps reporting lower, I have no idea but the screen switches to 50Hz with Crysis. You get 3d Vision with nVidia. AMW1011 shouldnt have added "you" before stupid rofl

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Rofl " chose to insult me and close my thread ". Ok back, for Crysis yes 3x285 is better than 2x5870. Its your opinion in this case since the 5870 is more advanced and will probably be a lot faster in future games, especially if newer games are DX11 which Crysis 2 will be. Another thing is less micro-stutter , more gpus = more micro-stutter(min fps) . To tell you the truth, 45-50fps feel more than 60+fps in Crysis even though fraps reporting lower, I have no idea but the screen switches to 50Hz with Crysis.

It is also on part with 2x5870's as for micro stuttering i wouldn't know, but if the average FPS is higher in Crysis or whatever other games they scored higher or on par with the 2x5870's with, i'd say that's a good buffer to that assertion.

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Dude, that's the point i was trying to all throughout that thread, different strokes for different folks, but no... Insults and thread closed :(

DX11 and Eyefinity are no reasons to denigrate what i want through false and baseless assertions of cards performance in comparison to mine.

G

Lol thats maxishine the man with 4 GTX285 and 2 power supply to power them. He got access to some very deep pockets rofl

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Oh yea and here's what AMW1011 posted 10 minutes after i started this thread in my CPU choice thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/277695-10-phenom-intel-q9550-trisli-gtx275#t2074627

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Here is my response from the CPU thread:

"Oh yea?

Your whole life?

I'm 3 days and here's proof that what i saying is correct:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/283430-15-proof-gtx285-5870-crysis-crysis-warhead

I'm a civil guy i dare say i was a lot more civil than you in that thread, you say you wanted to "be blunt" i say being blunt is an art you've mastered with a lifetimes experience you loose arsed fuckwit tool.

You were obviously busy writing that tripe above when i had just posted the above 10 minutes before."

AMW1011 can pick this up in whichever thread he likes.

G

LOL "... have lived and breathed PCs my entire life..." That guy is on drugs or something

G

The rampage seems a bit better, also Asus have better technical support than Msi. They sent me a video card cooler without even asking me the serial number just the model.
Asus Rampage Extreme II and i920 Best Combo.

notty22

Distinguished
IMO, I would choose the Asus model, at the same price. The cpu's are all but the same.
Its a very cool featured and looking mo bo.
What the hell am I looking at in this pic, it comes from Asus's site
zeaXd1fEqYNfhRXZ_500.jpg

an9W5EEBsdliGPJb_500.jpg

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=W7i5W4Pw4fH22Mih

Evga has sort of always been Nvidia's enthusiast turn to retailer. This past Christmas they were offering special deals on their 1336 3-way sli board with 3 gtx 275's.

G

They seem like extra cpu phases power to better overclocking stability.

First of all, the price of the GTX 285 is same/more than by price 5870. In addition, the GTx 285 is slower, lacks eyefinity, and DX 11. The GTX 285 gets ownd by the 5850 in almost all (99%+) of benches. Only Nvidia has the talent to (fake/cherry pick) benches showing it being faster. The gtx 275 is 250$.

The only Nvidia card that makes sence right now is the GTS 250. Period.

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

There is very little difference between a GTX275 and a 285 and a 275 overclocked in fact be better, the 285 has horrible price for performance it even when overclocked.

In U.S equation yes $250.00, i will do some comparisons for U.S market.

GTX275 = 250

GTX285 = 350

5870 = 380

Thus, 285's while better for Crysis Warhead alone, would only remain on par with 2x5870's and would be considerably more expensive, thus would not be a viable purchase at all.

However, 3xGTX275's9OCed) would still remain 34% cheaper and be 40% better (or more as OCed 275's are better than stock 285's) in Crysis warhead and would remain on par with 2 x 5870's.

The price of 2 5870's vs the price of 3 GTX5970's levels out in you markets, but not here in the UK, the price for 5890's is about 40% inflated for some reason, it's even higher in europe and even higher still in Australia.

Even still if you want performance distributed to the games you want the most performance on and that game happens to be Crysis Warhead, nothing beats GTX285 OCed although to be cost competitive the only option really is OCed GTX275's.

So in my market :

4x 275's = 2x 5870's economically.

Whereas in your market:

3x275's = 5870's economically.

However 3x OCed 275's is 40% better in Crysis Warhead and could well be above 40% if clocked to faster than 285 GT.

These benches have nothing to do with Nvidia they are performed by independent computer tech media sites, the ones i have used use near identical hardware and produce very comparable results which give veracity to each others conclusions.

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
LOL "... have lived and breathed PCs my entire life..." That guy is on drugs or something

Lol, Makes he wonder what you eats, my guess; blunt tools, because you are what you eat and sharp ones would be too challenging.

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

The post is finished now, things should make more sense.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Mpyra, you are really sad.

I never insulted you, I only tried to help. If you want to ignore that and change my words then that's fine.

Starting a thread to insult me is laughably pathetic, you should be ashamed of yourself but I'm sure your not.

You have no idea what you are talking about, yet you apparently know everything? Well that's okay, I guess that since you know everything you should just leave because there is nothing left for you here.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
AMW1011, your totally right.

This guy is a complete joke. This is exactly why I will not help people anymore unless they have already done background research.

Please keep such ridiculous irresponsible use of public forums, for your own personal opinion casting form of media, away. I would recommend moderators delete this thread for two reasons:

1. The sheer personal bias that led to the release of the benchmarks benchmarks stating a GTX 285 is better then two HD 5870's in Crysis is quite frankly an intentional or unintentional act to misinform people into the true performance of Crossfired HD 5870's.

Basis #1: Crysis is well know to be a performance heavy game. Showing a product is superior to it, yet fail at every other game can easily bring the misconception that the inferior product is really superior. Many people can easily take it this way, this is quite dangerous..
Basis #2: Also Crysis Warhead is known to have been optimized for Nvidia (and supposedly Intel as well although I have only confirmed Nvidia optimization), so already a hardware preference is in place. Using such a game to perform benchmarks is fine but should be kept PERSONAL and not spread out using forms of public media. Most reputable reviewers who use Crysis as a benchmark often do it without counting it to the over all score.
Basis #3: The Original poster's experience is quite short, as he himself admited to it. "Maybe you don't agree with my preference for Crysis Warhead(as a guy just coming into the PC gaming world)..." (Mpyra) Subjecting your opinion to the public while admitting to not having the experience to back it up is quite frankly short of dangerous to the public.

i think this thread needs to be closed as well, he is just whining because he is only using 1 benchmark/game which is very non-representative of the overall gaming sector

EDIT: OP this is like the people saying that the GTX480 is nearly 2x faster than the 5870 from the minimum fps of one benchmark, the results by which were released by NV
so stop trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.