Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RS360 Heat Dissipation

Last response: in Overclocking
February 7, 2013 2:05:16 PM

All - first WC build here.

I've read all the stickies - particularly learning how to calculate heat generation of my loop. The one thing I've been unsuccessful determining is the heat dissipation of my radiator. I have the RS360 which will be set up with 5 fans (3 push 2 pull).

I've spent a lot of time on google trying to find values for heat dissipation of the RS360 with various fan configurations.

These are the relevant WC components:
5x Akasa 120mm x 25mm Viper PWM Fan w/ Hydro Dynamic Bearings (AK-FN059)
1x XSPC RS360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Radiator Rev 2.
1x Swiftech MCP655-B 12v Water Pump (317 GPH)
7/16" ID tubing

Loop components (Actually the exact configuration used as an example in the 2.0 sticky):
2x 580GTX
1x i7 2600k @3.4 (currently)
Total: ~583 TDP

I checked skinneelabs and they didn't have the RS but they had the RX:
http://skinneelabs.com/xspc-rx360-v2/2/

Even the RX, a more capable radiator, required 1800rpm to keep ~600watts (roughly what I have in my loop) within 10 degrees delta. However, that was with only 3 fans, and they were in pull configuration (I always feel that push performs better than pull, I'm not sure if that's a unanimous thought though).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how my loop will perform with the RS?

Very much appreciated, thank you.

More about : rs360 heat dissipation

a c 324 K Overclocking
February 7, 2013 2:28:59 PM

You will need more radiator space than what you currently have...at least another 2x120 worth, but would be 'serviceable' if everything ran at stock speeds and you didn't expect a very good delta. I think the RS series performs similarly to the Swiftech MCR series (which I have) and on a good day, ~475-500 watts is about the best you would see.

Best solution

a c 168 K Overclocking
February 8, 2013 2:20:17 AM

Heres a review on the RS360 for you.
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/03/27/xspc-rs360-radia...
And I agree that you should get more radiator space for what your after.

I think Pull is better than Push, not for any performance reason, just practicality. This pretty much sums up why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyC3lZ5WFMk
Related resources
February 8, 2013 8:44:14 AM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses.

I ended up upgrading my case because I don't think it was going to be possible to do what I wanted with the case I had.

Now I have the Azza Genesis 9000, which is pretty ideally set up for this type of thing (room for up to 480mm radiator top, up to 240mm radiator bottom - with substantial spacer between bottom of chassis and the floor to ensure airflow is adequate).

So now I'm planning on running the RX360 top and RX240 bottom - both pulling, both blowing up for vertical airflow. I also plan to have a 120mm push/pull in the front of the case to keep the hard drive bay cool, and I'll have one intake 120mm in the back of the case (separate from the RX240 which will serve as intake as well)

My only concern is that the two radiators will be sharing air - and based on skineelabs testing, the air might be at ~70% capacity after leaving the first radiator.
http://skinneelabs.com/assets/images/Radiators/XSPC/RX3...

This has two implications:
1) Will I just be blowing hot air over my motherboard / RAM (components not in the loop)?
2) Will the second radiator be functioning at low efficiency since the air entering it is so much warmer?

Are those issues? Or am I over-estimating the impact that the RX240 (bottom) will have on the internal temperature of the case?

I could potentially do something like arrange both the 360 and 240 as exhaust with 4x intake in the front (2x on each side) and the 1x intake on the back. (I'm not sure how well it would work trying to exhaust through the bottom, sustantial spacer or not)
a c 168 K Overclocking
February 8, 2013 9:48:30 PM

As long as the 240mm rad isn't the sole intaker of air in the system, I think it will be fine. The "dirty" air from the bottom 240mm will be mixed with fresh air from the other intakes, so while not ideal, wont cause any significant loss to performance.
February 8, 2013 10:05:14 PM

Best answer selected by jackofaiitrades.
February 9, 2013 11:31:42 AM

manofchalk said:
As long as the 240mm rad isn't the sole intaker of air in the system, I think it will be fine. The "dirty" air from the bottom 240mm will be mixed with fresh air from the other intakes, so while not ideal, wont cause any significant loss to performance.

Great, thanks for the response. Yeah I have several other intake fans which should help.

Alright, just one more question for you guys:
Does anyone know of a good 5.25 bay fan controller for PWM fans? For the life of me I can't find anything - all the controllers use the 3-pin connections rather than 4.

In the rare case that I find a controller with support for PWM, only one of the fan ports uses PWM, the rest use voltage control. (for instance the ZM-MFC3 Zalman).
a c 168 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 11:41:02 AM

The manual controllers with knobs and sliders wont have PWM, if any were too it would be the digital ones.
Though I dont think there are any PWM-capable fan controllers.

3 and 4pin fan connectors are compatible with each other, you just lose the PWM signal, which means you cant tweak the fan speed to the exact RPM. Which isn't much of a loss IMO. You will run your fans slow enough to not be heard, not exactly 1276RPM.
February 9, 2013 11:47:50 AM

So it's not an issue to use voltage regulation to control PWM fans? For some reason I thought I had read a few places that PWM fans behave oddly with voltage regulation.
a c 168 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 11:52:08 AM

TBH I don't know if there is issues voltage controlling PWM fans, I'v always had 3pin fans and the one 4pin I have isn't in use right now.
!