RAM overclocking question

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013
I have two computer systems that are basically identical except for motherboard and GPU. One is the end result of several years of upgrading, and hopefully will be able to game for the next year and a half to two years, and the other was a computer that was given to us and after a new tower and cooling is working good. The first computer had a better motherboard and overclocked very easily using just the multiplier. The second I was told I wouldn't be able to achieve a stable 3.8GHz overclock and I now have a stable 3.962GHz overclock which is as close to 4.0GHz that I can get to. It is this second computer that I have a memory overclocking question with.

The motherboard on that computer is what gave me all the problems its not a bad board but it is difficult. Here is a link to it: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3726#ov

I was not able to just raise the multiplier to overclock this computer as above x18.5 cool and quiet would not work (I wanted it to work as these computers are on 24/7 and there is no need to have it cranked up all the time) and on this motherboard a x20 multiplier resulted in an auto reset to x5 and a x20.5 resulted in a auto reset to AUTO. Therefore I achieved a stable overclock by raising the fsb to 214 (highest stable setting without large over volt) and x18.5 mulitplier. In doing so to test for stability I under clocked my RAM to x5.55 which is 1140MHz. The RAM I used is liked here:
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BLT4G3D1337DT1TX0

When I under clocked the RAM to 1140MHz my Bios auto set it to 8-8-8-20 1T. The computer is totally stable at this setting and passes both memtest and Prime 95 testing. I am thinking about cranking the RAM multiplier back up to x6.66 which would result in 1426MHz and timing it to 9-9-9-24 2T and may have to increase the voltage from 1.5v to 1.6v for stability (not sure yet as I haven't tried this setting). What I don't know is:
1. If my motherboard supports up to 1333mhz overclocked RAM is it safe to run my RAM at 1426MHz?
2. The RAM is listed as 1.5v and auto settings place it at 1.5v if I increase to 1.6v or 1.65v for stability is that safe?
3. Am I going to see any real performance gain by doing all this? Is going from 1140MHz set at 8-8-8-20 1T to 1426MHz set at 9-9-9-24 2T going to affect normal programs and video gaming or is it only going to show up in benchmarking?

Thank you all for your help. I'm not bad with overclocking the processor and gpu but I have never done anything with RAM and am not sure what the "rules" for overclocking RAM are.