I need help with my debacle!

Finnman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Hello all,

Well it's hard not to notice Tom's Hardware when browsing the internet for reviews, specs or troubleshooting, and after contacting various vendors for customer support regarding my various issues I thought I'd try here.

A breif History:

-Purchase new computer may of last year. Coolermaster Haf 32, Asus m4a79t Deluxe, AMD Phenom II x3, 4gb pc-1600 corsair ram, my old nVidia 8800 and my old Razer Barracuda sound card.
-Order Fatal1ty 700w PSU in the summer, seems to be working no problems.
-Add whopping Coolermaster v8 heatsink later in summer.
-Fast forward to the holidays, I grab an Intel 80gb SSD, 4 more gigs of the same ram, and a Visiontek 4870x2
-Install everything discover loose power connector to mobo, so I RMA PSU
-Upon recieving back new psu, install new graphics card and ram. Videocard has random lockups, artifacted images and problems in games so I send in for RMA
-Recieve back video card a month later, install again, same problems. Test in backup computer and card works!
-Bought power supply tester yesterday to double check my power supply and everything checks out.
-Finally discover the source of the problem! When my computer is on it's side, videocard works. In upright position videocard has problems. I do a little test while it's on it's side and tug down on the card a little simulating gravity while running furmark and BAM problems.

So the reason I came here is because I would like to know either a) how to correct this problem or b) which component has the issue here? It would seem to me that possible the PCI-E connection on the motherboard is weak, but the card is so big I don't wanna move it down to the next slot. Can I RMA a motherboard for having a weak PCI-E slot? Is this a common issue with large video cards?

Thank you all for any help you can offer! This is been a long and grueling process and I need this machine for work and most of all my precious games!

Cheers!

-Finn

nfail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
the card should have a screw slot, same as your pci slot near the back of your pc. are you screwing it in properly, because if you are it shouldn't move much whether its upright or on its side.

Finnman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Once I discovered the problem I used screws immediately (assuming the plastic clasps obviously weren't enough) but even with the screws in I still get the problem.

-Finn

nfail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
its possible you have damaged the slot, the x2 is a really heavy card. all i can suggest is you try to wedge something below it to hold it completely flat while the case is upright.