Does this seem right?

Here is my pc

Fx-4170
Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz 8GB RAM (2x4)
Gigabyte GA 970a-ds3
Radeon HD 6450 1GB
1TB Seagate HDD
1 x 140mm side fan
1 x 120mm front fan
1 x 80mm rear fan

I overclocked my cpu to 4.8GHz with the voltage set to 1.41v using stock cooling but my temps show 10C-15C on idle and i know this is not right as in the bios on startup it shows about 26C, but what i want to know is what my temp most likely is on idle and as ive seen people saying you shouldn't overclock on stock cooling i was wondering if i should get a better cooler?.
also i would like to know if its safe to up the voltage a bit to try and get 5GHz as on 4900 it just BSODs while booting.
cheers.
6 answers Last reply
More about does right
  1. When overclocking always get an aftermarket cooler, what are you using to monitor your temps?
  2. core temp and open hardware monitor, both show the exact same temps.
  3. I wouldn't overclock at all till i got my temp monitoring programs worked out and showing accurate numbers... You could damage your components.
  4. well i set the bios warning temp to 60C and that did work when it got too hot
  5. atm i have my clock speed default and bios temp is 21C at 4.8 it is 27/28 what is the max number i should allow in bios to make sure i dont go 60+?
  6. fx series chips have sort of "fake" core readings

my fx-6100 shows idle temps of 15-20c ( which is impossible cause ambient temp is 20-22c )

but when i start stress testing the core temp goes 15c--> 28c-->29-30-31....
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooling Overclocking