Deleting Windows XP "Uninstall" files

December 9, 2004 8:34:47 PM

The "$NTUninstall" or "$NTServicePackUninstall" in the \windows folder
are huge. Can some of them be safely deleted?
Thanks, CMA
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 8:34:48 PM

Yes, see this link:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"cma" <cptmgt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o bCDM9j3EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The "$NTUninstall" or "$NTServicePackUninstall" in the \windows folder are
> huge. Can some of them be safely deleted?
> Thanks, CMA
December 9, 2004 8:49:02 PM

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, these files actually include backups
of the original file versions, allowing for both uninstallation of the
service pack and reversion to the original OS state. As such, you should be
very certain that the patch is causing no problems and that you will not need
to uninstall it. Considering this, I usually wait until a service pack or
interim patch is proven safe, and then consider deleting the PRIOR uninstall
files, leaving the most recent one just to be even safer.

"cma" wrote:

> The "$NTUninstall" or "$NTServicePackUninstall" in the \windows folder
> are huge. Can some of them be safely deleted?
> Thanks, CMA

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 2:18:43 AM

Usually most who download and install Windows Updates DO NOT Uninstall
them. Especially Critical updates. So yes, it's safe to Delete those
Folders.
!