New Gaming Rig not working properly

Vanuskb29

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
After building a new system for my birthday to use for gaming, I discovered that something is SERIOUSLY wrong. When ever I attempt to play a game, [I've tried Oblivion and Source Engine Games/Mods such as HL2, Synergy, and Eternal Silence] the computer decides that it wants to cause the program to crash for an unknown reason at a random time. Usually once the game is actually being played. Here are the hard ware specs:

Windows 7 Home Prem. Upgrade Edition 64bit
XFX GeForce 9300 Motherboard
2gb (2x1gb) Adata Dual Channel RAM
1tb Hitachi 7K1000.C HDD
Apevia X-Dreamer II Chassis w/ 420W PSU
HP dvd1270 Lightscribe DVD Burner
2 Internal Fans + 1 CPU fan
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz CPU

phenom21

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
HEY MAN! Not seeing a video card...if u don't, then that's the problem....if u have one then install all games as administrator, run in xp sp2 compatibility mode it may help, are u using pirate games or original?????

Vanuskb29

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
The video card is an integrated 9300 and the games are all legal. I don't know how to install them as an administrator and compatibility mode hasn't worked so far. If anything it made it seem to be a bit worse. I was getting BSOD before I realized I should install 64bit Win7 instead 32bit Win7. Now it has only BSOD'd once for what I'm guessing is an unrelated reason.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Stick your finger on the chipset. If it hurts, it's too hot.

Vanuskb29

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
So are you guys saying it's a video card error?

EDIT: I felt inside the case and nothing on the board is running hot, I also adjusted the temperature sensor and sealed up the case and have a reading of 84.2 degrees Fahrenheit inside the case.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I wanted to mention that but then I thought "gaming on integrated graphics?"

Vanuskb29

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

Isn't that PSU less powerful than the one I've got though?

EDIT: Look, I know that this isn't the BEST Gaming Rig, but I really can't focus on new parts right now. I've exhausted my parents' set computer budget and need to focus more on fixing the problem at hand than upgrading some of the lower quality parts. If it helps, then here are my current FUTURE upgrade plans for my Rig if you will help me to get it working:

-PNY GeForce 9800GT 1gb GDDR3 256-bit SLi Ready (to utilize MoBo's Hybrid SLi Capability)
-XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W PSU
-4gb (2x2gb RAM)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

He's concerned about power stability, cheap power supplies tend to produced choppy power that can make a system unstable. Besides that, you can't trust the ratings of some manufacturers.

Further, some power supplies that can stay powered up to the rated load will drop voltage so badly at 50% load that they become useless at anything above that load level...making a high-end power supply of 2/3 the rating a far more "powerful" unit.

But...you're running onboard video so unless your PSU is complete trash...it's probably at least semi-stable at the 180W or so peak system power the rest of your parts can draw.

Vanuskb29

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
After a strenuous amount of work I managed to get the build working on late saturday and have been testing it since then. Oblivion runs like a dream on High and I can run HL2 and Episode 1 on max w/o Antialiasing and get 40-70 avg FPS. The problem was sadly one of laziness. In my haste to get the build installed and working, I didnt not take the time to stop and install the sound drivers package specific to this chipset. Upon its installation everything now works. My advice to anyone having the same or a similar problem, is to make sure that any and all motherboard/chipset specific drivers are installed.