Sign in with
Your question

Incompatibility or Faulty Memory?

Last response: in Memory
November 29, 2010 11:15:17 PM

Alright, I have an issue. I have been battling "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" errors for about three months now and I can't seem to pinpoint the exact issue. I have a GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard with G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM RAM. I am running the RAM at 1600 at 1.6 v. I also have the 1090T running my system. I allowed windows 7 to do it's own test on the RAM and it passed, but my problems still persisted. So I decided to run memtest today and after 6 passes the RAM began to ring up errors on the 7th pass. This is my first time troubleshooting RAM so I'm not really sure how to read/diagnose the error codes. Unfortunately, my RAM (CL8D) was not on the compatibility chart for my motherboard while the CL7D and CL9D models are which doesn't make any sense in my opinion. I know that Gigabyte does not test ALL of the RAM sticks out there so I'm just trying to figure out whether MY ram either faulty or simply incompatible with my motherboard. I'm at a loss right now to be honest so I came to get the opinion of those more intelligent than myself with this type of situation. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Heres the memtest screenshot:

Thanks guys
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 11:45:21 PM

as that Ram is rated at 1.6 volts and thats what you are giving it... I would try and bump it up a pinch and see if it will pass memtest.
m
l
December 3, 2010 12:29:37 AM

Okay, so i have tried just about everything and have gotten mixed results. I raised the voltage just above 1.6 volts and I began to get more frequent blue screens, and different error reports as well. So I set everything to AUTO in the bios regarding voltages, ram speed, and timing, and then ran each stick through memtest individually. They each made 9 passes error free so I stopped it. Then I put both ram sticks in and set the bios to 1.6 volts, 1600, and 8-8-8-24 (what the ram is rated for) and it failed after the first pass. Highly frustrated, I set everything back to AUTO and let it run through the night and it made 10 passes error free. So I thought my problems were solved, but then today it blue screened again while installing a program and now I feel like I'm starting all over again :/  Windows 7 is reports a "potential" problem with the RAM after each crash (about once per day). What I'm confused about is why would it be running perfectly fine at one point and the next I get a blue screen crash? hmmm. Any Suggestions?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2010 5:52:14 PM

Well as that RAM is not on Gigabytes aproved list can you return it and get some that is?
m
l
December 5, 2010 11:06:00 PM

Unfortunately, I got my parts in September, so I'm stuck with them. I'm not sure if if would be worth it to order some cheap memory with close to the same specs to see if its really the RAM causing the problem. I am getting more than memory management problems recently. NTFS, hardware/driver errors, and now bad pool header. It happens at random times about once per day, and I use my computer for graphics as well as casual applications throughout the day. Honestly, I feel like its the motherboard thats causing me problems at this point, because now I can only boot from CD-ROM half the time. Never had so many problems with a build before :/ 
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2010 12:34:52 PM

Well as that RAM is designed for a core i5 or core i7 computer and you are using a AMD I think the only way to solve the problem is to get the correct RAM and try and sell what you have.
m
l
!