Please help with HDD Replacement!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 1:58:33 PM

Greetings,

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-F430 laptop and I want to replace the oem 12gb hdd
with a universal 80gb hdd. What steps do I need to take to copy the
contents from the old drive to the new drive?

I have a home network of 2 desktops and this laptop. Is it possible to copy
the drive image from the laptop's old drive to one of my desktop's drives
then replace the old drive with the new drive and copy the image back to the
new drive?

What other options/ways are there to accomplish the above mentioned task?

Thanks in advance,

Rick Wright

More about : hdd replacement

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2004 12:26:01 AM

There are almost too many ways of doing this to even discuss, but my
recommendation would be to use "Drive Image" to create an "Image file"
of the hard drive either on the same computer (must be in a different
partition, however) or on another computer over the network, or on a
CD-R media (be sure to tell Drive Image to breakup the image file into
CD-R size pieces).

Ultimately, you need to get those onto CD-R, then you can restore them
to the new hard drive.

As I said, there are a LOT of other ways to do this.

Richard Wright wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a Sony Vaio PCG-F430 laptop and I want to replace the oem 12gb hdd
> with a universal 80gb hdd. What steps do I need to take to copy the
> contents from the old drive to the new drive?
>
> I have a home network of 2 desktops and this laptop. Is it possible to copy
> the drive image from the laptop's old drive to one of my desktop's drives
> then replace the old drive with the new drive and copy the image back to the
> new drive?
>
> What other options/ways are there to accomplish the above mentioned task?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rick Wright

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2004 7:05:18 PM

My Girlfriend uses the Program Norton Ghost (Symantec) to make Backups
of old Harddisks.
This Program writes directly to other drives in a Network , or burns
to CD Rom/DVD.

It it self Bootable and can restore your old system to a blank new
Harddrive.
Using that Program I have made a Backup of my Harddisk as it was
preinsstalled when I bought it. That took 4 CDs. :)

==============
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2004 7:30:33 PM

"genius" <e0126402@student.tuwien.ac-dot-at.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:4145ef6e$1_1@alt.athenanews.com...
> My Girlfriend uses the Program Norton Ghost (Symantec) to make Backups
> of old Harddisks.
> This Program writes directly to other drives in a Network , or burns
> to CD Rom/DVD.
>
> It it self Bootable and can restore your old system to a blank new
> Harddrive.
> Using that Program I have made a Backup of my Harddisk as it was
> preinsstalled when I bought it. That took 4 CDs. :)
>
> ==============

Ok ok, you have told us this 6 times, I might be slow, but I get the
picture...... :-)

troubleshooting newsgroups and posts your same message many times for you
for the slow ones....
..
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 11:45:24 PM

On 13 Sep 2004 15:05:18 -0400,
e0126402@student.tuwien.ac-dot-at.no-spam.invalid (genius) wrote:

>My Girlfriend uses the Program Norton Ghost (Symantec) to make Backups
>of old Harddisks.
>This Program writes directly to other drives in a Network , or burns
>to CD Rom/DVD.
>
>It it self Bootable and can restore your old system to a blank new
>Harddrive.
>Using that Program I have made a Backup of my Harddisk as it was
>preinsstalled when I bought it. That took 4 CDs. :)

>Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

You can also look at Acronis True Image (about $69) which will do
exactly the same as Ghost - but easier.
!