4870 and the other Hardware

SesatZ

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I plan to buy 4870 on the early June, but I`m still confused for the other hardware... Here is my question:

1. Will 4870 gonna bottlenecking with AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2Ghz Black Edition...? If yes, then what I should buy...?
2. What RAM I should take...? DDR3 or DDR2...? Or could you mention both DDR2 and DDR3 that won`t bottlenecking with 4870...?

Please keep in mind that I don`t plan to do overclocking or invest the other hardware for future (that`s why I don`t plan buying 5750 just because it has DirectX 11), I just need an optimum and not a bottlenecking system for the game in the last 2008 and 2009 and bought it in price as cheap as possible by using 4870 as oriented for the other hardware...

Thx 4 the reply... :) :) :)

The HD5770 is usually cheaper than the HD4870 these days, in the US at least.
In any case if you aren't buying for 3 months you definitely shouldn't be deciding what to buy yet. Wait until you are ready and then check out the prices of the various cards because they are bound to change.
Your CPU is fine btw. Whether you should use DDR2 or DDR3 depends on your motherboard.

shubham1401

Distinguished
I agree that you should not plan 3 months before buying.
You may see very different prices 3 months later and maybe some more powerful GPU might lie in your budget :)

Your CPU won't bottleneck the card.Memory depends on Mobo and none of those will bottleneck.

SesatZ

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Well, I`m just wonder what hardware that won`t do bottleneck with 4870, so I can calculate the budget right away and then estimate the price on the next 3 month from now on...

About mobo, I plan to buy Biostar TA790GXBE (AM3/AM2+, AMD790GX, DDR2) if I gonna buy DDR2, and Biostar TA790GXB3 (AM3, AMD790, DDR3) if I gonna buy DDR3...

Well, just for your information, in Indonesia, the difference between 5770 and 4870 is about $30, so, yeah... :) :) :)

Oh, almost forgot, is AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1Ghz is good enough to support the video card...? Because it`s cheaper and I heard the Black Edition just for anyone who like overcloking...

Here they are the same price so I would go for an Athlon II x4 personally but the prices there may be different. Both should be fine however.
FYI I believe certain motherboards can actually unlock the 2 disabled cores on the Phenom II x2 chips so you may want to look into that.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

+1. There are some Asus and Gigabyte motherboards that can unlock cores like this one :
http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3762

but with cheaper prices.

SesatZ

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Well, it`s really something for almost beating i5 661 in the DoW 2 by using Phenom X2 555, but unfortunately ASUS M4A89GTD Pro hasn`t been avalaible yet in my country... But is unlocking equal to overclocking...? (you know, consume much power and getting heat easily fast)

On the other hand, I would like to remind all of you guys that I`m asking the spec of RAM I should take, because it`s the only hardware that I`m clueless to decide... :??: :??: :??:

Well the ram you should use depends on the motherboard. AM3 motherboards use DDR3 and AM2+ motherboards use DDR2. DDR3 will be faster and DDR2 cheaper. For DDR3 I would get 1333 or higher and for DDR2 you want 800 or higher.

TRENDING THREADS