Random Restarts No Bsod? Win XP

AesikNaos

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I have a personally built computer that is somewhat dated(3years or so). First I'll just list all the parts then explain my issue.

Mobo= GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965(rev 3)
CPU= Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz
Ram= CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800/CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
(3gbTotal Dual Channel)
PSU= HIPER HPU-4B580-MS 580W ATX12V v2.2
HD= Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST380811AS 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Gfx= GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3
Also have 2 Samsung combo cd/dvd drives and a Sony floppy drive.

Ok so first let me say my computer did not always do this. It has for some time now but, I had not the time nor the money lately to do anything for myself. Now that I do I'm trying to pinpoint the issue to fix it. I get random restarts in Windows XP.

I don't get any BSOD whatsoever and I have turned off the Automatically Restart on Bsod with no avail. It happens so randomly it could be when I'm playing a game like League of Legends to browsing Firefox,listening to Songbird, or watching a movie. I've looked in the event logs in my computer in all 3 categories System/Application/Security with no signs of a BSOD related event other than the occasional (TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.)Which from what I understand should not be giving me the issue so I do not believe that is the problem.

Recently I got a new game I wanted to try out a free to play MMO called Fantasy Star Zero. Now this is the only thing I have ever done on my computer that could recreate the problem I'm seeing every single time I start the game. I get past log in screen and to character creation and my computer restarts. So now that I found a way to test the problem I got a friend over with some of his parts to test in mine. I tried every single stick of ram separately, different video card, different mouse/keyboard, different PSU as I thought it may be a voltage issue. I've checked temperatures with 3 different programs all say normal temperatures even under load. I've run Ccleaner and other cleaning utilities for my computer. It is not overclocked in anyway shape or form. All drivers are updated though I have not flashed any BIOS firmware or anything like that. Yet every thing I've tried the problem still persists. This problem did not always occur and I have reformatted before with the problem coming back even after that.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the problem as have some friends of mine. I've built several computers and never run across an issue I couldn't either figure out on my own or find a solution too online. I've looked everywhere I could think of. If anyone could be of help I would really appreciate it. If you need anymore info please ask and I will reply A.S.A.P

AesikNaos

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Jsc I apologize if this sounds rude but, I feel as though you did not even read my post though it was a bit long. I will quote from my original post.

"I got a friend over with some of his parts to test in mine. I tried every single stick of ram separately, different video card, different mouse/keyboard, different PSU as I thought it may be a voltage issue."

Again anyone with some insight or something new for my to try would be greatly appreciated.

Dude10101

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
First let me say that i feel your frustration. Recently i built a new computer that has been displaying the same problem as you mentioned, and though i haven't been able to solve the problem yet i might have some useful advice.

1) Try and check to see if any of the capacitors on your motherboard are faulty. Best way to do it is be seeing if any of the capacitors aren't flat on top, like they've been pushed up. (in the process of checking mine)

2) Did u try different ram slots when testing each stick of ram? Cause another reason could be due to the ram slots on the motherboard being defective (what i've been told by some tech savvy friends). Best way to check is the use memtest and letting it do a few passes on different slots.

3) You might just have some faulty wires, try replacing the hard drive wire and see how it goes. (Also could be case wires on the reset switch)

4) Maybe it's a problem with the drivers, so give them an update and see what happens. (Also when you were web browsing was there audio being played, cause then it could be the sound driver).

5) Could be a faulty hard drive. Try using a hard drive diagnostic tool to see if its the problem.

6) Could be a faulty PCIe slot, if you have a second one trying giving it a go.

So i would say give number 1, 2, 4 a go first. Since it seems it fits closer to your issue.

Anyway i'll keep you updated with what i can find out.

AesikNaos

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Appreciate the reply Dude10101!

1) Have gone over the entire motherboard and cannot find any "popped" capacitors. I have a Gigabyte 965p DS 3 with Solid state capactiors so thankfully it wasn't the issue and shouldn't become one.

2) I did try different ram slots and I've done 2 20hour or so passes with memtest 98 to no avail : (.

3) I don'tse any exposed or mashed wires but, through taking off my side panel and re-seating my heatsink/switching ram sticks I can imagine it might happen. I'll keep looking around whenever I'm in there for a sign of this.

4)I've updated Graphics/Sound/Lan/USB/ drivers to no avail. Yes sound has been playing I think almost everytime thought I have updated the drivers it may still be an issue. I'm using a Realtek onboard sound with AC 97 drivers(?).

5) I've done a S.M.A.R.T scan on both of my hard drives to see if they are started to fail or reaching the end of there life expectancy but, there were no problems and they both checked out just fine.

6. Could be a faulty slot but, my only question to that is. Could it really be the slot itself if a certain game inperticular makes the comp crash at the same spot everytime? Also I do not have a 2nd slot so I cannot test that : (.

Again really appreciate the reply I hope I can solve my problem soon.
Do you think it could be a windows issue? Should I just reformat and see what happens?

bsodwin

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
May be an overheating issue... Check whether the CPU Fan is properly fixed and heatsink is proper

BSOD WIN

AesikNaos

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Ok so after posting last night I got another random BSOD. I decided even though it said my temps were at 44c idle I would pull off the heat sink and see what I could find considering it's a stock Intel HSF and it was put on with it's original thermal pad about 3-4years ago :(. So I pulled it off and it didn't look too bad, the paraffin wax came off of both the CPU and Heat sink pretty easily and just kinda cracked off like old clay. Though from what I'm told that's how it is suppose to work since after mounting the HSF it's not supposed to be taken off unless it's replaced anyways.

I called up a buddy with some AS5 on hand from his recent build so I wouldn't have to buy a whole tube for one application. So I get the AS5 read the directions on the Arctic Silver website to make sure I do it properly. Cleaned both HS and CPU with 90% isopropyl alcohol. I tinted the HS like recommended on the site. I applied JUST a hair's shy worth the recommended amount on the CPU itself(reasoning being the HS was already tinted with AS5 and I've heard too much is actually really bad). I re-seated the HS gave it a slight turn left then right also just like recommended. Now it says that AS5 takes about 200hours to set properly and achieve it's maximum cooling potential.

I've posted 2 screen shots below of my desktop with all 3 temp monitors running. The first one is at idle with my comp running with nothing open for about 2hours. The second is with Intel's T.A.T pushing both core's to 100% workload for about 35minutes to average out the tempatures. I know the tempatures will drop as the AS5 set's but, my question is - Are these tempatures normal? Both at 0%load and at 100%? I haven't been able to find any solid tempature scale for what I should be seeing on stock cooling. On Core temp it say's my TJ.Max is 85c but, it seems kind of high and I can't find anything to back it up. Any more help is greatly appreciated I couldn't do this on my own that's for sure.

Idle Temp = http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af226/AesikNaos/?action=view&current=TEMPS.jpg

35min 100% Load = http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af226/AesikNaos/?action=view&current=TempsLoad.jpg

Note: The temps in my taskbar are from the various programs. Speedfans is the furthest on the right. The next 2 are CoreTemp. The far left temp is Intel's T.A.T.

AesikNaos

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Another bump to say I saw a random restart today when I the temps were around 45c and I had music playing. Nothing else was open or running at the time.

fldavem

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010

It's been months, I realize, but now I'm getting the restart in XP without any event log (and it is turned on to log). Have you resolved your issue? If so, how?

Thanks,
FLDaveM

AesikNaos

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Nope I still don't know what the issue is. It happens in some games and not others. It doesn't matter what the requirements for the game are High or Low. It's not overheating it's not giving me any event logs. I can't even get it to BSOD it just restarts on it's own. I'm about to give up honestly.

avanthe

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I am pretty sure it has to do with your integrated sound drivers.

Try disabling Windows Audio under "administrative services". Uninstall all your sound drivers and don't re-install anything even if Windows detects the new hardware. Just press "cancel".

Play/Browse internet/watch movie with no sound for the day and see if the problem happens.