Considering Updating, Worth It?

cyber_Bruno

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hey all, I'm currently considering updating my graphics card with a 6-12 month holdover until I put together a new system for games. I did some research myself on the technicals, but I grew personally curious in a few questions that sprung up in the process (detailed below). My current setup is as follows:

CPU: Core2Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
RAM: 4GB scaled back to ~3.50GB
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon X1950 PRO 512MB Newegg Link
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Newegg Link
Monitor's Max Resolution: 1600x900 Standard Def.

This system has served me well for almost three years now. Naturally it's showing some age, but frankly I rarely do things incredibly intensive. Even games. Most of my games aren't that intensive, and I don't need every single inch of them to sparkle either. The only things I really have that are starting to push the little guy are Borderlands and now Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Borderlands seems to run pretty smoothly with some of the settings toned down (still fine), but Battlefield is a little more hungry. I have some things turned down, but at times it seems there's a little bit of choppiness. I did some shopping around and my gaze fell on a Radeon HD4770 (Newegg Link), and with some research it seems like this is a pretty impressive card at a good price that will definately serve well for up to another year (I really don't have any more gaming plans that are as system-intensive.) Naturally two things stood out to me, however:

1. This card utilizes a PCI-E 2.0 x16 interface, whereas my motherboard only hits as high as PCI-E 1.0 x16.

2. While the HD4770 can do DirectX 10, my use of Windows XP limits me to 9. (I know there are some hacks but not sure how valid they are anymore.)

While I understand I can still use the new card, my chief question is whether or not I'll really see a performance increase with this/these bottleneck(s). While I can pour over numbers and angst myself over factors that may not end up being important, I figure it's better to ask the community here and learn the "why" part from them. So please, fire away here. And thanks in advance. :)

Solution
Hello and welcome to the forums :)
First of all PCI-E 2.0 is backward compatible with PCI-E 1.0 so you can use any PCI-E 2.0 card on your motherboard but yes you are limited to use DX9 because you are using XP.
Getting a HD 4770 will give you a significant boost in gaming,but how much do you want to spend for your VGA ?
Hello and welcome to the forums :)
First of all PCI-E 2.0 is backward compatible with PCI-E 1.0 so you can use any PCI-E 2.0 card on your motherboard but yes you are limited to use DX9 because you are using XP.
Getting a HD 4770 will give you a significant boost in gaming,but how much do you want to spend for your VGA ?

Solution

gauravtushir

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
For high-end gaming you definately you need better gpu. but at the same time if we see famous game and their version ex:\ farcy , cod (best ones) they have reduced their graphic detail in the game to make more business.

best example . compare cod

world at war with modenwarfare 2
now crysis 2010 they have said that this game will have low system requirement .
i would recommend 9800gt. whats the size of your moniter? nvidia i know not many would prefer to buy but they have got a good name in market .

cyber_Bruno

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
After some more research and the advice here, I think I'm going to go a bit higher in price and pick up a Radeon HD4870. Outside of online shopping supposedly a store nearby sells the HIS-made version. Rather than a 12-month-tops holdover I think I might be able to squeeze out another 2.5 years on my machine given how much I care about having everything maxed (not much).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161292&cm_re=radeon_4870-_-14-161-292-_-Product

Sound good?

Also, Maziar, price isn't a huge concern for me, but I don't really see the point in spending $300+, and given the age on the rest of the machine anything higher than the cost of the 4870 seems a bit much from a logic perspective rather than cash-on-hand.