A $750 budget PC (OS not required)

I would like to build a PC which I have not done in quite sometime(I found the laptop more practical for school).

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: End of April

BUDGET RANGE: < $750 before any rebates or taxes

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
School work, Internet, and would like to do some light gaming(mainly older titles)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Operating System or anything outside the tower

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any legit website

PARTS PREFERENCES: Western Digital for hard drives(anyone really except Seagate), Intel for processor

OVERCLOCKING: Not likely SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Doubt it fits in the small budget

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

-Would like it to not be very loud if possible although anything not ridiculously noisy will do
-I would either like to install Windows XP Pro or Windows 7 64 bit Pro on this machine

Really need advice/tips as I have not been keeping up with tech news or built any machines lately.

Looking for the best you can build on this budget really. I know it is not extravagant but I am hoping it gets me something decent and perhaps upgradeable to last me a while.
2 answers Last reply
More about budget required
  1. Have you consulted the last System Builder's Marathon, and tecmo34's really helpful thread? They will give you good ideas on what you can choose. :)
  2. The SMB systems are pretty bad. You're better off just looking at them and then moving on.

I don't care what you say about not wanting Seagate. Right now, WD is losing the battle. The new 7200.12s and Samsung Spinpoint F3s are faster, quieter, cooler and a lot cheaper. They're also very reliable.

An Intel CPU is way out of budget. The cheapest CPU I would recommend is the i5-750, and it's $200 by itself, or about $40 more expensive than the best AMD CPU. The boards for it are also $50 more expensive. That's almost $100 sucked out of the budget for no real gain.

CPU/Mobo: X4 955 and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $265 after rebate
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7 $110 (as long as you're not OCing)
    GPU: HD 5770 $150 after rebate
    HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
    Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Earthwatts 650W $130
    Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $24

Total: $734
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product