Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking GTX 680 4GB

Last response: in Overclocking
February 8, 2013 8:21:38 AM

I'm pretty new to overclocking my Graphics Card.

Here is my system
It's on a dutch site, but I'm sure you'll get all the information.

My main GPU currently gets to 87C when I run the 3D Mark Fire Strike benchmark. The other gets to 80C or something.

I want to get a higher score, to get a chance at winning a Assissins Creed 3 copy, and maybe even 3D Mark 2013 Advanced Edition. This is a national contest in the Netherlands.

My question is: Will it be possible to overclock, when I already reach these high temperatures. And how should I do it? I have MSI Afterburner, but was too afraid to ever touch those sliders.

Any suggestions?
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2013 8:30:29 AM

i wouldnt try for much of an overclock with those temps... try putting more case fans in, or if your willing to spend the big bucks, put aftermarket coolers on those cards
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2013 8:32:17 AM

I run mine at 1258mhz and that give me about 1300 in real

Don't touch the Vcore, set the Power limit to the max and you should be ok, mine don't heat a lot more (maybe 5celsius more) as i don't give any Voltage more...

Higher settings don't always go faster (i can set up to 1350 but it's slower than 1258 for me...) Make sure to take the time to ensure you gain performance and back when it's the time...

Not all card overclock well and heat is the major problem with all PC component (i already think 87 is enormous as i have a reference design EVGA SuperClocked and even overclock to 1258 and 7122 ram it don't reach 80 however, my card is one of the first 2GB model as i bought it in the first month it came out...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2013 9:03:49 AM

87 degrees? man, i would not even consider increasing anything other than fan speed. Your card is how much vs that free game?
and you said it yourself that you are new to this, most likely there will be a veteran joining that contest.
not worth it, if you damage you gpu, think about it
February 8, 2013 10:29:29 AM

Nvidia stated that the GTX 680 can reach up to 95C without dmg.

But what aftermarket coolers would be best? I would be able to invest some money in aftermarket cooling, but which one should I be looking for? and what cooler fits on my card?

And most of those coolers are (imo) ugly as hell. I would like a bit more stylish coolers :p 
February 10, 2013 1:44:23 PM

The "Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid LCS Cooler" looks interesting..
However, I don't think it fits in my case.
You can see pictures here
I have to of these cards, but only 1 120x120mm outtake fan. I don't think stacking them would be effective, or even possible...

The 180x180mm intake fans are too big I guess, and there won't be room for it anyway, because the GPU's are too long to fit anything between the intake fans and the gpu's...

Any suggestions?
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2013 2:04:57 AM

Then the big one with all the fans would be your best bet sorry,
February 11, 2013 8:57:18 AM

Or of course, complete custom build water cooling?

But I have no clue wich waterblocks fit my GPU's
March 4, 2013 3:13:59 PM

In my Case I have 3 180x180mm Silverstone Air penetrators.
I had those all set to "Low speed" because of the slight noise reduction, and forgot all about that. Now I've set the 2 below my GPU's to "High speed"

the Idle dropped to 31 C on main card, 26 C on second card
the Load dropped to 72 C on main, 67 C on second

Is this a reasonalbe temp to overclock some?

March 7, 2013 2:07:09 AM

bit high... aftermarket watercoolers are basically your only option if you're competing in a contest, anyways. (or an aftermarket aircooler, but that's hard to do with SLI.
March 7, 2013 6:27:45 AM

The contest is over. I'm just interested in a a slight overclock now.

I've considered watercooling, and discussed this on the watercooling forum here. Turns out my case isn't able to handle watercooling for my setup, without full modding the case. So watercooling is not an option anymore

Aftermarket coolers...... well.. if some company is able to release attractive cooler. I might consider it.. but for what is available now.... No

March 7, 2013 11:22:09 PM

Just go get your self an Open Loop water cooling systems. The Koolance 680 blocks keep my over clocked (1240Mhz) SLI'd 680's at a frosty 40C (20C ambient).

I wouldn't expect to be breaking any records though. I'm sure some guy has 4 over clocked Titans just waiting to dominate.

Quick question: Why are you using 2133Mhz memory with an Asus Sabertooth Z77? Those boards are only rated for 1866...?
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2013 6:16:33 AM

kemperkipie said:
I'm pretty new to overclocking my Graphics Card.

Here is my system
It's on a dutch site, but I'm sure you'll get all the information.

My main GPU currently gets to 87C when I run the 3D Mark Fire Strike benchmark. The other gets to 80C or something.

I want to get a higher score, to get a chance at winning a Assissins Creed 3 copy, and maybe even 3D Mark 2013 Advanced Edition. This is a national contest in the Netherlands.

My question is: Will it be possible to overclock, when I already reach these high temperatures. And how should I do it? I have MSI Afterburner, but was too afraid to ever touch those sliders.

Any suggestions?

gtx 6xx cards start to throttle back at about 70C and the hotter they get the more the gpu core will throttle, so keeping them cool will get you better fps. Also increasing the power limit alone will alow them to boost higher, but your temps are too high so find a way to get them down. Increase fan speed to 100% for a start.
March 9, 2013 7:13:37 AM

As I said, the temps have already dropped because I've set the bottom intake fans to high

(Load is maximum, during fire strike 3d mark)

Is increasing power limit % on MSI Afterburner safe? To where is it safe? 120%, 150% or is even 200% safe..
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2013 11:11:21 PM

kemperkipie said:
As I said, the temps have already dropped because I've set the bottom intake fans to high

(Load is maximum, during fire strike 3d mark)

Is increasing power limit % on MSI Afterburner safe? To where is it safe? 120%, 150% or is even 200% safe..

probably no need to go past 150%. It should be safe, just monitor your temps, if your not overvolting it would be impossible to blow the card up with power limit increase.
!