Can't change boot priority from HD to SSD.

irishred

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
I had windows 7 installed on ssd when it disappeared from view in my computer. I installed 7 in one of my other hds. I find that the kingston ssd failed often but installing new firmware would correct which it did. Everything that was on the ssd before failure is still there now. My problem is no matter how many times I changed the boot priority to ssd, it always the hd and not the ssd. What should I do, reinstall windows to ssd or what? Both hd and ssd is still hooked up to computer. My pc has ASrock z68 mobo, i7-2600k, 3 hds, 1 ssd 128gb, non raid set up. I also read that Intel rapid storage technology is causing ssd and hd to operate properly, is it neccessary to have? Thanks!

Unplug all your HDD, and install the OS to the SSD. Then delete the HDD version after the install is done.

The firmware update propbably lost the previous OS. Try to do a Secure Erase of the SSD before you re-install. if you can. No worries if you can't. Do a DISKPART CLEAN if you know how. No worries if you don't.

The version installed to the HDD overrides the SSD boot stuff. THe PC look for the MBR, which must be on your HDD to boot to it, and you want it on the SSD. That's why you unplug everthing during install.

And yes, use iRST. It has the latest drivers for the ICHR10 chipset, which run the SATA ports.