3570 vs 3570k

Mynamehere

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hey,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum(it seemed the most relevant here).

I'm in a bit of a predicament at the moment. I'm deciding on whether on getting a i5 3570k for means of overclocking, or settling on an i5 3570 by itself. This is for my gaming PC. However, I'm a bit low on funds at the moment, so I can't exactly spend my money too boldly. I have two options, as I've laid out already. My graphics card is an EVGA GTX 660 SC edition.

So, my question is: is it possible to play most games on high settings using i5 3570 instead of having to overclock the i5 3570k, given my graphics card? Say I wanted to play BF 3 on Ultra settings. Would it be possible with i5 3570?

Thanks!

Solution
With the release of Haswell you will see Z77 mobos drop in price, so the top grade ones will be available for a fraction of the price they are now.

Happy building bro, I wish good fortune upon you.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
A regular i5 3570 will run every single game you throw at it at high settings with no issues, and will do for quite a while. It won't bottleneck your GTX660 at all.

But what if a game comes out that needs more? A 4.4Ghz 3570K would give you enough power for years to come - with the next generation of consoles being released the games industry is due for an overhaul and Spec requirements will skyrocket. You might need to add another GPU, you might then find that your CPU is lagging behind.

Always think of the future when you are building a PC, a regular 3570 might be perfect now, but it wont allow you to squeeze the extra years worth of performance out of it like the 3570k

PS: Its an extra £5-7 or $10 - 15. Its not much to ask for so many possibilities.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
for today's games a non-overclocked quad core is more than enough, but in the future games may need more cores or higher clockspeeds...

If this happens you can overclock your CPU and you will be alright. So the 3570k would be more futureproof...

You dont need to buy a cpu cooler and OC immediately... Buy a 3570k now and when you need it, buy a cpu cooler and overclock it...

But if you are on a budget, go for the 3570...

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Aye but you can do a couple of online surveys and make the extra £5 - £10 in a couple of hours xD Its well worth the extra peanuts.

Mynamehere

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

...Oh. That's a more logical way of thinking, I suppose. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

You are right; I'm on a budget. I'm already aware that there may be future games out there and I also am afraid that my CPU will lag behind, but hey. A budget is a budget, right?

My problem isn't about buying the cooler alone, though. I'd have to buy a more expensive mobo which supports OC; at the moment, I'm settled on a rather inexpensive one. And I'd have to buy it right now.

"Its an extra £5-7 or $10 - 15. Its not much to ask for so many possibilities."

Yeah, but over here, the difference is around $40. That might not be huge, but I'm literally walking across the line right now. Coupled with the fact that I'd have to buy a more expensive motherboard than what I'm currently planning to buy and a new CPU cooler, the price bumps it up by ~$150.

..Rough estimate time! How long do you think it'll be before they start releasing demanding games?

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

First question - what motherboard are you running?

To answer your question - it will be as early as the end of this year, i.e. as I stated in my first post, when the new consoles are released.

New engines and new technologies are being released for use on the PS4 and Xbox 720 and obviously that is going to reflect on PC gaming (You may notice how few PC exclusive games use their own engine, most rely on stuff like Frostbite and Unreal engines etc, which are updated with the release of new consoles).

Mynamehere

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

ASRock B75 Pro3-M LGA1155 is the motherboard that I've set my sights on. Next one up which supports OC costs around $80 more, assuming no discounts.

Ah, I see. End of this year, huh? Man... I thought it would be later than that. xD

I still don't know what to do, though. It's blatantly obvious that I should OC; there's no disadvantages at all about it. I guess i5 3570k would be affordable. I wouldn't be able to buy a CPU cooler nor an OC-supported mobo after that, however.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Well, if you believe that over the course of the next 12 - 18 months your financial situation will allow you to spend the money required to purchase the components needed to unlock the 3570K's potential, go for it.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Oh and what Region are you from that doesn't have a H77 Mobo (they support OC'ing with Multipliers, whilst the B75 does not) for a similar price?

Mynamehere

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

Okay, well, I've come up with two different solutions.

- I can either buy the i5 35700 and buy a motherboard which supports OC. I can replace the CPU after a set amount of time. No CPU cooler.

- I can buy the i5 3570k but settle on the cheap motherboard which doesn't support OC. I guess a CPU cooler wouldn't hurt.

Latter is better? Former?

EDIT: Hmm? Oh, they do sell H77 here. The price for B75 is $89. The price for an H77 is $199. H77 can OC? Never knew that, lol.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Upgrading the motherboard will be cheaper in the first instance (original item price + replacement item price)

Upgrading the CPU later will be more expensive in the first instance (original item price + replacement item price)

In the second instance however you have to take into account (Original item Price + replacement item Price - original item resale value)

Mynamehere

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

Mm. Guess reselling items I don't need won't hurt.

So, I guess buying the cheap motherboard and getting 3570k wouldn't be too bad. In the next 7 months or so, I'd definitely have enough to buy a respectable motherboard that supports OC.

Appreciate your feedback. Anything else to add?

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
With the release of Haswell you will see Z77 mobos drop in price, so the top grade ones will be available for a fraction of the price they are now.

Happy building bro, I wish good fortune upon you.

Solution

Mynamehere

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Awesome! That is exactly what I wanted to hear! At the moment, they sell them here for about $270. Really hope they go down quite soon.

Thanks for spending your time helping me out, buddy. You too, Tim! I appreciate your quick responses!