Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SSD caching on ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 27, 2012 10:43:02 PM

Hello,
I've got an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, a Crucial 64GB SSD and a 2TB seagate HDD. I'm trying to set up the SSD as a cache for the HDD. The Intel RSTE software won't support SSD caching and neither will the ASUS AI Suite II software. I've tried using the two Intel SATA ports and the ASMedia SATA ports, but neither of them work. Has anyone tried SSD caching on this mobo before? Does the Rampage IV Extreme even support SSD caching?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 85 G Storage
April 27, 2012 10:50:21 PM

it does not support SSD caching
April 27, 2012 11:00:37 PM

That doesn't make any sense. Why would they not include SSD caching?
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 351 G Storage
April 27, 2012 11:11:27 PM

From a review of X79
"Speaking of storage, Intel does not offer Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching) on the X79 chipset. We aren't terribly surprised that it isn't included; after all, if you are paying $999.00 for the Intel Core i7 3960X you will likely be using a good sized SSD for your boot drive."

Have a feeling that anybody that would afford the X79 would not bother with SRT (Not a lover of XRT myself).

A simular example was when the Z68 plateform came out, gigabyte initially did not offer ANY Z68 MB with a hdmi Header - There reason, if you are buying a Z68 (vs the H6x) you are going to put a dedicated GPU in and NOT use the iGPU - They found out that was a BIG mistake and corrected, But not before I bought a ASRock Ext 4.
April 27, 2012 11:23:04 PM

Other mobos with the X79 chipset support it, just not the Rampage IV extreme.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 85 G Storage
April 28, 2012 12:32:36 AM

Oddball2012 said:
Other mobos with the X79 chipset support it, just not the Rampage IV extreme.


No they don't. Native SSD caching is a function of the chipset which is out of the hands of the motherboard manufacturers. Some companies such as Asus have devised a software trick which implements SSD caching in a tricky and non-native way.
April 28, 2012 6:04:20 AM

Pinhedd said:
No they don't. Native SSD caching is a function of the chipset which is out of the hands of the motherboard manufacturers. Some companies such as Asus have devised a software trick which implements SSD caching in a tricky and non-native way.


So if ASUS has developed a way to implement SSD caching on other X79 chipsets, why not on the Rampage IV extreme? I just want to SSD cache on it so that I have the reliability of the HDD with the speed of the SSD.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 85 G Storage
April 28, 2012 6:46:24 AM

Oddball2012 said:
So if ASUS has developed a way to implement SSD caching on other X79 chipsets, why not on the Rampage IV extreme? I just want to SSD cache on it so that I have the reliability of the HDD with the speed of the SSD.


The Rampage series is targeted purely at platform enthusiasts and as such they avoid tacking on bells and whistles that to most users will only be another point of failure.
!