Amd 965 - Deciding if I've got a good chip or bad chip

So I've had my amd 965 125w (stock settings) for a few days now. Upgraded from an x2 6000+ windsor. Upon first install it was idling at 58 degrees so I knew I installed the heatsink wrong right of the bat. Second attempt got me around 47-49 range. My third attempt got me around 45-46 range idle. I've got a zalman 9700 NT on it in a coolermaster storm sniper case, so airflow shouldn't be a problem. It's the second day of the Artic Silver 5 curing and I've got a range from 43-45 idle. Im unsure if I have a bad chip on my hands and wondering whether or not to RMA it. My old x2 6000 I could run 3.4ghz (could probably push farther) on the same 1.3750v as the 965 and have it idle at 25 and max out at 47. I've ran the 965 on prime 95 for almost an hour here and the max temp so far is 49. So I'm a little bit boggled here. Of course the max temp is good as it hasn't went over 50. But i'm kind of unsure on the idle temp, so I thought I'd seek some opinions.
8 answers Last reply
More about deciding good chip chip
  1. Quote:
    It looks like heres nothing wrong with your chip. what the ambient temps?
    Considering dropping the vcore, you could hit 4.0Ghz with 1.375v.
    Also, is CnQ turned on?

So it seem's about normal to you? Well the room is about average I'd say, 18-20 perhaps?
    Well its at stock vcore now, I assume it might not be stable below that. Not sure about hitting
    4.0ghz on stock 1.375v either. I tried a 200x20 on 1.4v yesterday and the pc didn't make it into windows.
    I was thinking a 16.5x242 at 1.44v might do it. But I'm waiting on my 2x2gb of 1066mhz ram to get here first. Only got 2gb of some old kingston 667mhz in there at the moment.

Cool and Quiet has been disabled.
  2. Well I did update my bios on the first day. The one I updated to was bugged, x4's and x6's core would get stuck in cool and quiet settings despite being disabled. When I had that going it was idling at about 36 degrees.
  3. Quote:
    What board do you have?
    36 degrees with CnQ is really normal (lol)
    If it is a gigabyte board, the mobo could be automatically overvolting the cpu to 1.375 from the stock 1.325 of the C3.

I got a Asus M4A79 - Deluxe. Looking at Core temp and CPU-Z right now. It's back to Idling at 45 again currently. Core temp VID: 1.375v CPU-Z Core Voltage: 1.326v
  4. Quote:
    update the BIOS and turn on CnQ. if you want lower idle.
    Assuming all the heatsinks are correctly installed, your CPU is perfectly fine. The reason its idling so high is because of the fact that its idling at full voltages and clocks.

Just seems strange because I researched others with the same cpu and and cooler and they we're achieving lower temps with cnq disabled.
  5. I personally don't see a reason to enable cnq or any of the motherboard voltage monitoring/altering features.. I've read reviews of the 965 having problems with 4 GHz overclocks.. It may be bios dependent.. Are you sure your PSU is railing stable voltages.. If you are using an older PSU, there may be chances with voltage fluctuations which in turn may be causing the chip to heat up abruptly..
  6. Emperus said:
    I personally don't see a reason to enable cnq or any of the motherboard voltage monitoring/altering features.. I've read reviews of the 965 having problems with 4 GHz overclocks.. It may be bios dependent.. Are you sure your PSU is railing stable voltages.. If you are using an older PSU, there may be chances with voltage fluctuations which in turn may be causing the chip to heat up abruptly..

I'm pretty sure the rail is stable. I have 750w Corsair PSU and it's not even a year old.
  7. that's pretty warm idle.

I have that CPU with a V8 cooler on it (looks powerful actually not much more than hyper 212+), and I'm getting idle temps of around 31C in a 26.5C environment.

with overclocking I've managed 4.0 Ghz (20x200) on stock voltages, but have not noticed much performance increase in games (bottle necked due to GTS250), so I restored system clocks. Did not look at temps for idle when overclocking.

Cool and Quiet is enabled always!
  8. Yeah, I'm under the assumption that this is a bad chip. It was idling 45-47 on me all afternoon with just internet browsing. Strange that it never went over 49 on an hour of prime95 though. I've e-mailed newegg about RMA'ing it and i'm in the process of that now. Hopefully the next chip will be a better one.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Chip AMD